LILY

029. NOT AS IT SEEMS

I woke up to hushed whispers and the door closing quickly. Groaning, I shift against the sheets and pull them just under my nose. Not sensing Royces' presence, I call out to him "Royce?"

I had yet to open my eyes fully when a kiss is placed on my hands. Fast pacing greets my ears and I rub the sleep from my eyes to see what the buzz was about only to see several guns on the bed. Slightly startled, I hit my head on the headboard. "What time is it?" I ask while sitting up, allowing the black sheet to rest around my breast.

My question goes unanswered as Royce aggressively loaded a pistol. He spares me a brief glance and I couldn't help but flicker my gaze over his half-naked figure. "Royce?" I speak with a worried tone.

He didn't look at me but let up his grip and dropped my hand dryly, his posture stiff beyond compare. "I need to leave."

I got off the bed, and Royce's eyes snapped to mine. I stilled under his gaze before walking up to him cautiously. His eyes didn't strain from my face as I grabbed his hand and squeezed in reassurance. My heart lurched at the pained far away look in his eyes.

"What's wrong."

He still didn't say anything, dropping my hand, and walking into the closet. I sigh, going to the bathroom, but leave the door open. I take a quick shower, and when I get out, there's a fresh pair of boxers and an oversized shirt on the counter. A faint smile tugs my lips before I come out with arms folded and a scowl on my face. "Talk to me please." I glance at his wrist, and as usual, Celeste's beaded bracelet clung around the bone. I found it cute for such a grown, rugged-looking man to be wearing something so cute.

Royce grunts, thrusting the finished guns into a duffle bag. "We found Celeste's location."

My eyes widen like saucers as I approach him quickly. "That's great news! Where-"

"Xaviers with her-in fucking Italy," he snaps, his accent stronger than before.

I freeze, my breath hitching. I had to grip the pole of the bedframe to prevent myself from falling at the abrupt buckle of my knees. "When are we leaving?" I ask mindlessly, a million thoughts racing.

Royce zipped up the duffle, arms flexing. "I will be leaving soon after I finish packing."

I frown. "I'm coming with you."

"No."

"Yes."

"No, Lily." His voice was stern and left no room for discussion, but I made room.

"Yes, Royce. Xavier is with Celeste, and I said I would be the one to end his life. Besides, I think I owe it to myself and your sister for getting her into this mess-"

His jaw ticked. "You didn't do anything, Lilian. You are staying here; end of discussion!" His words stung. I want to do something with no one pulling the strings for once in my life. I don't let up. "I will be coming with you."

Royce slams the gun on the bed, turning to me with blaring eyes. "Goddammit, women!" He shouts. I thought I saw the steam fuming from his ears.

I crossed my arms, glaring back. "Celeste needs our help, and nobody knows Xavier like I do. Let me do this."

His nostrils flared, jaw ticking as he began retaliating, but I raised my hand, placing it over his heart, the other on Celestes' bracelet. I squeeze gently.

"Please? For her."

His eyes were like fire, unrelenting and savage. The blazing heat overcame me, and I inhaled sharply while awaiting his answer. "For me."