LILY

011. ANGST

"What's in the west wing, Kim?" I ask, flipping to the next page of my Spanish study guide. Kim had been giving me private lessons for the past couple of weeks and made me a useful study guide to follow. Pride swelled in my chest for every phrase or sentence I got correct, eager to learn. "Besides the basement, I caught word that the west wing was forbidden."

Kim's plump figure stood at the foot of my bed, folding clothes and sorting them into different piles. The small green apples on her dress were distorting as she moves. I'm still adjusting to not doing housework after years of always being on my feet. I almost begged Kim to let me help her, but she was a stubborn woman and suggested I study instead. She looked skeptical. "Why the sudden interest?"

"The workers here are...chatty." I shift off my stomach, discarding the Spanish guide.

"The west wing is where his parents resided. Not so much his father, but his mother, she slept in the west wing. It's a sensitive part of the home for Royce. I can tell it breaks him a little every time he passes the hall." Kim finishes folding the last satin shirt before pilling them collectively in the laundry basket. She peers at me suggestively. "You should check up on him."

Freshly trimmed brows meet my hairline. "And where is this man exactly? Besides meal times, I barely see him."

She shrugs, balancing the basket on her hip. "Perhaps his office. Axel should be around here somewhere if need be. That boy always knows Royces' whereabouts," Kim mumbles off.

We part ways and I'm left to find the man who made my thoughts more restless. I recall our "date" from a few days ago; if that's what I want to refer to it as. That day went well, the food, the flower shop. Those flowers, I dried them out after they started drooping and now I have a large bouquet of flowers on my wall. Pink peonies and white tulips happened to be my favorite, besides your classic red rose. "Axel!" I call out, recognizing his tall exterior.

Axel swiftly turns, an instant smile imprinting on his face. He holds his arms open and I happily step into them. Axel and I have gotten close since Chastity's introduction, but I barely see him because Royce sends him out on assignments according to Chastity. "Came back from Brazil? How was it?" I pull back.

"Same old, same old. We had a new shipment of materials coming in ready to be shipped to Europe. I oversee everything in terms of management and shipping with Royces' approval," he explains, ruffling his fluffy black locs.

I fold my arms with a cunning smile. "What would happen if you shipped materials without his approval?"

Axel takes the bait, becoming equally mischievous. "He may or may not kick my ass, probably kick me to the curb. But what he doesn't know won't hurt-a man like him needs a little humbling sometimes, gotta keep him on his toes."

"Axel."

My giggles turn into coughs, gasping against the lodge spit. He really needs to work on his entrance. "You need to work on your entrance, brother. You'll give the girl a heart attack one day." Axel takes me by storm for repeating my words. Cheeky bastard.

I felt him before I could see him. "He's keeping me on my toes-no harm done." I clear my throat, pointing towards Royce. "I was looking for him anyways, I'll see you later Axel."

He winks, nodding to Royce before briefly mumbling to him as he passed. Royce remained impassive, unmoving until Axel turned the corner. Dark amber eyes stared past me. "What did you need me for?"

Everything he says, subtle or not, sounded erotic off the slip of his tongue. I swallow and pinch my wrist, gaining my wites before speaking. "I wanted to say a proper thank you for our outing, the card, and the flowers."