LILY

045. BLESSING IN DISGUISE

I stood frozen in fright as bright lights screwed my vision, blinking my vision back to reveal a humongous crowd of people. I clench the plate tighter, letting the sharp edges keep me awake. The sea of people is dressed like us, ball gowns, heels, crisp suits, and gold watches. Every last one wore wide grins or astonished looks as if they'd seen the most exotic thing in the world. It felt like a petting zoo. They watched us in hunger, waiting for us to break and cower so they could snatch us and take their pickings; it was a nightmare.

"Look at all these beautiful women lined up for us tonight. How lovely," the announcer says gleefully. He wore a fake wig, his face painted white with a phony mole above his lip. "Now, who's ready for the bidding to start!"

The crowd cheers in joy, clinking their utensils on their glasses of champagne. I look around the room and suddenly spot Celeste in the back, looking at me with wide eyes. She mouths something to me, but she's too far away to be able to read what she's saying correctly. I inhaled to calm my nerves, jumping when a scream came from somewhere behind us.

The announcer laughs it off, the crowd following in tow. "She must be excited as well."

I grimace and try not to shuffle on my feet, shifting my gaze between the other girls and back to Celeste, who looked at me in worry. The announcer pulls out a remote, clicking a button that causes a large screen to pull out from behind him. "As most of you know, the screen will display the number of each lady at a time, and the bidding will begin." He looks down the line at us and happens to make eye contact with me. I shiver in fear when he gives me a malicious smile.

"May the best bidder win."

One by one, each girl was auctioned off like an object; some protested and left kicking and screaming, and others stayed quiet and accepted their fate. And when my number called, I froze, somehow, the dress felt too tight, and the light became brighter, stinging my eyes.

"Do I hear five hundred thousand?" the announcer says.

A few numbers flew out one after the other, repeatedly raising little by little. I almost puked when the latest bidder sat in the front and gave me a look I knew all too well. He was a large, grimy, and tasteless man, sitting and palming his dick without a care in the world. He gave me a grin, licking his lips, and I immediately looked away, feeling the urge to cry.

"For one million dollars to the man in front-going once, going twice-"

"Cash out!"

The crowd gasped, and the murmurs flooded the room. The older man in the front slams his hand on the table and yells profanity in another language. I looked around, confused as to why everyone was in shambles. A tug on my elbow caught my attention, and I turned to my right to see a young woman in a blue dress.

"Cash out means the auction gets to put a price on you for however much they want. Regardless of the number, the buyer gets you. It basically means you're priceless," she whispers.

My eyes widened, looking towards the announcer, who looked like he was sweating bullets. He pulls out a handkerchief and wipes his neck. "Um-um, yes! Cash out! To the highest bidder in the past twenty years...congratulations." The announcer looked angry as hell, glaring at me from his stand.

The crowd becomes an uproar, their applause thundering in my ear drums. I tried to find Celeste in the standing ovation, but I lost her. Before I could adequately search for her, Kara came, grabbing me and leading me backstage. "Wow, I'm impressed. Some of these girls have been here for years, and the first-timer gets cash out. I told you I was praying for you."

I couldn't help but chuckle. "As was I. I hope the person's better than the guy who almost got me."

I couldn't leave until all the girls were auctioned off, so Kara and I chatted until the time was up. I could hear the crowd applauding as the announcer spoke to them. I turn to Kara. "What happens after this?"

"All of you will be taken onto the floor, and you will dance with your bidder to seal the deal there."

My face scrunches. "What is this, the fourteenth century?"

Her eyes sparkled in amusement. "It's tradition."

"I can think of far better traditions in the world than kidnapping people and forcing them to dance with the person who bought them at an illegal auction," I say, scoffing defensively.

She went to respond but was interrupted by the announcer. "It's time for our girls to dance with their bidders, everyone. Make room, have more champagne, and let the night take you away!"