LILY

038. CHEMICAL ROMANCE

"And then what happened!" Chastity holds tightly to my shoulders.

"Artemis said the guards weren't where they should've been and we bolted. Now we're here in Austria," I explain. Royce stood possessively behind the couch where Chastity and I sat. I felt his breath from a mile away. After our passionate reunion, we were met with an awkward Chastity and Axel at the front door. Our window was open and the shower wasn't so concealing.

Chastity immediately embraced me as did Axel and brought me to the living room to talk. I missed the black and blonde hair duo. Chastity looked sun-kissed, her rosy cheeks and ocean-blue eyes lit with sparkles. Axel's hair had gotten longer, his curls peeking out and he got an undercut. His dark circles remained the same, but he managed to put on a bright smile at the sight of Royce and me. They had been holding hands, tightly, and I'd never been fonder of the couple.

I smack Royces' hand that was touching my neck, grinning at Chastity. "You look amazing."

Chastity blushes, her painted red lips splitting. "Thank you. It's so quiet without you guys at the house. If I had to hear another tea and biscuit recipe from Kim, I'd cry."

Flashbacks of my stroke made me swallow hard as I brush my neck. I remember the feeling like it was yesterday. It was like I was drowning in dry air with no way back up. The hairs on my neck rise when Royces' hand touches me there, rubbing soothing circles with his thumb. "You look different as well."

I tilt my head. "You think so?"

Chastity gets close, taking my chin in hand to move my face side to side, inspecting. "I want to say it's because you're freshly fucked but-OH please, don't look so appalled. You weren't exactly quiet, no wonder Artemis left."

"I sent him on his way." Royce clears his throat.

I gaze between them before laughing. "I think we've all changed in the last 5 months..."

The day I was swept away with Royce had been July, and late winter is already rolling into play. I wonder what Winnie's doing and how the baby is, by now it'd be around 6 or 7 years old. Time wasn't fair to those who waited for something that would never happen. I had set an unrealistic expectation for myself, thinking one day Winnie would come home with a baby boy or girl in hand. I'd daydream and have nightmares, putting scenarios in my head on whether they're still...alive? Selfish thinking, I had told myself many times. Winnie was young too and took care of me when our mother wouldn't. As the years passed and many of them spent stuck at home with our mother, I realized that Winnie needed help and no one around was willing to provide it besides her boyfriend. Our parents hated him, especially our mother, she despised him. He gave her everything they couldn't. Money, a car, a home to come to, safety, security, and genuine love. I wish I had been stronger for both of us. Maybe I should've been the one to disappear? There had been many times when I told myself, that if Dad didn't die and Winnie had stayed home, our mother could've been saved too.

But then, Royce...he's watched me live, do things I've wanted to do from up close, and afar. There was no force or punishment. I didn't need to ask permission or feel the need to sneak around and lie. Most traces of abuse were wiped from me physically. I stopped flinching when men were around and can be freely defensive without the fear of hands being raised on me. It's like a wire switched in my brain, and over time I've grown accustomed to being in the same room with certain people. Granted the entirety of the house was full of woman, and the only one I've met thus far is Axel and Artemis, but they're family.

Peering up at Royce, I ask, "Can you grab my medicine, please?"

He passes a worried look my way, caressing my hair, before quickly walks away. I look back at Chastity to find her watching me with a smirk. "You guys are dumb."