LILY

025. THE GARDEN

When I saw Xavier's bloody hand, I darted out of there as fast as possible. Millions of alarms set off in my head at the thought of him disappearing, my body feeling numb as if I had an out-of-body experience. I still remember the metallic smell invading my nose.

It was midday when I had cornered myself in the living room by the bar with my unfinished book. I take a whiff, loving the smell of the innards of a book. Indulging in a small glass of spice rum to help calm my nerves, I toss back my medications. I had noticed throughout my time alone that I wasn't truly alone. There were more men with guns around the property and a couple that had discreetly followed me around the house all day.

I want to bring it up to him, tell him it's unnecessary and that I don't need any more protection, but that would be delusive. Xavier escaped unknowingly, even with men that held insanely large guns guarding him and circling the premises consistently. Who's to say he's not still inside the house, unbeknownst to us. The thought sent waves of nausea in my belly and scratched at my throat. So much has happened in so little time, and I'm really questioning if I'm mentally stable enough to keep up. Then again, I've kept up for this long, so who to say, I can't handle it.

"Jesus fucking Christ, this is a nice house!"

I jumped at the loud curse, almost dropping my drink, and turned to see Axel and Mia. "Mia!?" I jump up from the couch, a flash of white dizziness covering my eye.

The fiery redhead stared straight at me in relief, my own filled with surprise. It didn't take long for her to reach me, pulling me into a firm hug and squeezing me to death. "Oh my god, Lily."

I pull away, still having her at arm's length, confused. "Mia, what are you doing here?"

"Well, one day you were at the club, and the next you weren't. I talked with Sarah, and she said you called out sick. Chastitys' been spotty with me and wouldn't tell me anything-don't look at me like that. I figured you texted her. And when I expected you to be there at least the following weeks, you weren't. Chastity's schedule hasn't been the same either, but excuse me for being so confused and concerned," She rants in one breath.

I wince. It would've been easier under other circumstances, but Royce had gotten me a new phone with selective numbers. I didn't remember Mia's number by heart, and the last three months have been hectic, but if I had, I would've called. "I'm so sorry, babes. I never meant to keep you out of the loop. To be honest, I barely see Chastity either, so you're not alone on that part," I say, bringing her back in for a tight hug with a kiss on the cheek.

She sighed. "As long as your safe. Now, why the hell are you in this big ass house? Did you get a sugar daddy all of a sudden? What about Xavier?" She throws me rounds of questions, and I cringe at the sound of Xavier's name. Catching this, Axel diverted the conversation. "Are you hungry? Kimberly makes the best food."

Mia's eyebrows pinch with a thoughtful expression. "I could use a bite. The drive here was long and, as usual, terrible traffic." She turns to me, pointing a finger. "This conversation isn't over, and when Chastity gets here, I'm whopping all your asses."

Axel grins and leads the way, but she looks at me before following. "Are you sure you're okay? You seem off."

I nod in reassurance, waving her off. "Yeah, I've just been a bit more tired than usual, but I'm fine, I swear." I twisted my fingers nervously behind my back, away from her vision.

Mia narrowed her blazing green eyes on me for a moment, and gazing at her now, I don't think I've ever seen Mia so stern or cryptic before. It was throwing me off. She finally shrugged and followed Axel into the open, floored kitchen down the hall. I sigh tiredly. My body felt like a sack of Santa's coal. My phone rings, and I pick it up without looking at the number. "Hello?"