ROYCE

EPILOGUE

4 Years Later

"Royce, are you even listening?" Celeste's voice snaps me out of my daydream.

I clear my throat and give her a meek smile, trudging beside her. "Yes, of course." I was fidgeting with the cuff of my sleeve, my nerves tickling my chest.

"I say we get roses, daisies, and carnations. You think she'd like them?" Celeste mutters to herself. Celeste always had a knack for getting people meaningful presents. It was one of her best attributes. She crouched down, her flower off-white skirt brushing the ground as she fiddled with her messy bun.

"She'd like them all, Celeste." I cross my arms and gaze around the flower shop. It was a decent size and had an array of flowers, but the sweet smell irritated my nose. The same one I brought Lily to for the first time 4 years ago.

"We'll get these, please!" Celeste says enthusiastically, grabbing all that she saw fit before passing my card to the cashier. Celeste adjusted her navy blue cotton top to fit over the band of her skirt as she shivered. The mid-spring air was cold and bustled through the open doors with ease.

I pay no mind to their conversation and cross over to the other side of the shop-bookshelves, a few tables, and more flowers. She'd love what the owners have done to the place, having renovated the whole space and reorganizing everything. They even invested in the upstairs unit where they sold bits of clothing.

"Royce, I got them. Let's go! We don't want to be late," Celeste shouted from outside the store.

"I'll meet you in the car. There's something I must do first." I wave her off and hear her huff before getting in the car.

***

We made it on time and exited the car, heading inside. Celeste didn't hold back this time and decorated the whole house. She begged me for months to throw a party and something along the lines of "go big or get the fuck out." I eventually caved in and let her do all the planning with no expense.

"I was about to say, I thought you were going to be late," Chastity says, holding a Shirley Temple with extra cherries inside.

"Never," I reply and hand her a couple of gift bags Celeste had picked out.

She rolls her eyes and places them on the gift table. "Of course, give the pregnant lady the heavy lifting duty." A pink and white striped dress covered her round six-month belly.

I shake my head at her teasing, my eyes wandering to Axel, who stood beside my mother. He and Kimberly took care of her while I went on a month-long trip to finish off the Russians and anyone affiliated with the coven. I killed every last one of them, not one person was left unscathed. I bombed the building to the ground next after rescuing all the women and children and with the help of Axel, we returned them all to their families. A recorded number of over 12,000 women and children had been in that building. New reports stated the events without our names in the mix for months. I still remember Kimberly's face when she saw my mother for the first time. One day I pulled her aside and we had a long discussion about everyone. My parents, the blackmail. Kimberly was relieved to discover she wouldn't be punished, crying in my arms.

She caught my attention and waved me over; her motherly smile was warm and affectionate. "Mi hijo, te he echado de menos. Pensé que ibas a llegar tarde!" Kim pushed me playfully.

"Why does everyone think I'm going to be late?" I grunt in displeasure.

Axel laughs and pulls Chastity, who was approaching, into his arms, kissing her temple. "How's our other little monster?"