Drive To Distraction

I stood in Jason's office trying to clean up my spilled drink, when Cheryl walked in on us with his hands all over me.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

I jumped, taking a few steps from Jason, covering my body with my hands. "Cheryl! It's not what it looks like!"

She folded her arms. "And what, pray tell, does it look like?"

"Relax, Cherry. We were just trying to clean a stain. Toni spilled on herself, see?" Jason pointed to my soiled shirt.

A strange hardness gleamed in Cheryl's eyes as she looked at her brother.

Finally, she cleared her throat and turned to me. "So.. how's party planning been going?"

I swallowed. "We're actually all done. It wasn't easy. Veronica had some very specific instructions."

"Ah, yes. I'm familiar with Veronica's lists. She's-"

"Obnoxiously high maintenance?" I dead-panned.

She smiled softly. "As her betrothed, I think I'd better plead the fifth."

"How diplomatic of you." Jason said proudly. "If Dad does end up disowning you, you've always got a future in politics."

Cheryl cringed. "And now I'm certain I've left you alone with Jason enough for one day. I hope he hasn't spilled all our family secrets already."

"Don't worry, Toni still doesn't know about th--" Jason started but Cheryl swiftly cut him off.

"Oh wow, would you look at the time? I actually came by to offer Toni a ride home."

Her eyes darted over to Jason and I saw a flash of something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"Unless you still have some unfinished business here?" She finished.

An awkward silence passed with both of them having some kind of weird sibling stare-down until Cheryl turned to me. "Well, Toni? Are you coming?"

I slowly nodded. "We're done here. I'd love a ride home." I put my drink back on the tray and gathered my things to go.

"We'll see you later, Jason. Try not to work too hard." Cheryl mumbled as she held the door open for me. "After you."

I was making my way towards the exit, when Jason grabbed my arm, drawing me back. Cheryl glared at him but kept walking.

"What're you doing?" I asked.

"What am I doing? What are you doing? I never seen her so wound up over my flirting before." He grinned.

"Toni?" Cheryl called.

"Coming!" I yelled back.

I took one last look at Jason, who winked at me, before following Cheryl outside to meet Marcus.

He opened the door for us and we slid into the backseat of the town car.

"Hello there, Ms. Topaz. I trust your engagement party brainstorming was productive?" The driver asked.

"Surprisingly yes." I said.

He nodded before turning to Cheryl. "Would you like some music, Ms. Blossom?"

"Yes, something soft please."

Ambient music quietly filled the car as Marcus rolled up the tinted partition to give us privacy.

Cheryl turned to me, her gaze darkened. "Now that we're alone, you can tell me how your day with Jason really went. I hope he didn't bother you that much. Was he that flirty with you all day?"