Hide And Seek

Hours later, we finally landed in Italy and made the drive to Veronica's family villa. Even though it felt like six in the morning, the noon sun dazzled.

"I'm so tired, I can barely see straight." I croaked.

"Toni, you can take a nap while Chels and I go to the beach!" Casey rejoiced.

Cheryl giggled lightly. "Nice try, but there are other adults who can watch you while Toni rests."

"Mom, will you take us to the beach?" Chelsea asked.

"At some point definitely. But we should check in with our hosts before we make any plans--"

"Is that my fiancee I hear?" Veronica emerged from the house and greeted us with airy side-kisses against each cheek.

"You're finally here!" She smiled widely. "Welcome to our humble abode. Toni, that dress is devine. I was worried that.. Never mind, you'll fit right in."

Not in the mood to argue and too tired from the flight, I sighed heavily. "..Thanks."

She let out a pleased hum, then led us towards the entrance. "Come in, come in. It won't do for the neighbours to see us standing outside all day."

Casey gave her a weird look. "But Aunt Veronica, there aren't any houses around."

Veronica waved the little boy off as she ushered the four of us through the house and to the back patio.

"I'll just give you a quick tour so you don't get lost."

"Can we start with the pool?" Chelsea asked.

Before Veronica could respond, the twins took off running. They raced to the side of the pool and threw opened their suitcases, Casey looking for his swin trunks and Chelsea her swimsuit.

Soon, all their previously-packed clothes were scattered on the ground.

Veronica turned to me, furious. "Toni, aren't you going to do something about this?"

I tilted my head to the side in thought. "Actually, as their future stepmom, why don't you give it a shot?"

She huffed and glowered at the twins. I leaned over to Cheryl and whispered, "This oughta be good."

Cheryl hid her face in her hands. "I'm almost afraid to look."

"You two, stop it right now and clean up this mess." Veronica berated.

Chelsea appeared from below the water, shaking her head. "No thanks."

"Target acquired." Casey triumphantly held a super soaker up in the air. How'd he sneak that into his luggage, I have no idea.

The seven year old boy quickly filled the water gun, then started spraying his sister.

"Aaaaaah!" Chelsea screamed.

"Hey! Enough!" Veronica said with a serious expression.

The twins both turned at her, taking the water stream with them and splashing Veronica in the face!

"Phleh!"

I fought the urge to laugh, but I knew I had to step in. "Alright, I think that's enough. Guys, clean up your clothes right now."

Chelsea pouted. "Yes, Toni.."

"I really didn't mean to spray you, Aunt V. I was aiming for Chelsea."  Casey tried to explain himself, and in response Veronica forced a smile.

"I accept your apology." She said sweetly.

I turned to Cheryl as the twins hurriedly threw their clothes back into their suitcases. "Maybe we should let them blow off some steam after being cooped in the plane for so long."