We Are The Champions

My heart beat out of my chest as Jason walked in on Cheryl and I in a rather compromising position.

"Jason, what are you doing here? And why is Veronica calling you?" Cheryl asked.

He squinted his eyes at us and crossed his arms, "She was looking for you. Do I even want to know what you two were up to?"

"We were just working!"

"You don't even work here." He scoffed.

Cheryl rolled her eyes, "We don't need to explain ourselves to you, Jason. Did you finish the press release for the Milan breach?"

"I've been a little busy, but apparently I'm not the only one." He grumbled.

"Enough. If you have something to say, say it. If not, then get back to work." Cheryl ordered.

Jason stormed toward the exit but paused at the door, "I almost forgot. Veronica had a message for you, Toni. She said since you were doing this office tour today, you should come to the company picnic this weekend."

My brows furrowed, "Why? Didn't she want me fired?"

"It's probably a 'keep your enemies closer' type of thing. She already told Mom and Dad about the invite so they're expecting you to be there." And with that, he walked out of the lab.

Cheryl sighed and turned to me, "Are you okay? You don't have to come to the picnic, you know."

Something about her tone threw me off. I mean, I was gonna say no, but why was she saying no?

"If you think it's best I don't." I went to move but Cheryl reached out to put a hand on my arm. I turned toward her but averted my eyes.

"That's not what I meant. I want you there. I always want you wherever I am." She said softly, lifting my head to face her.

I finally looked up, my breath catching as I met her gaze. "Okay then. I'll be there."

She smiled and kissed my cheek before leading us out the lab.

. . .

Finally, the day of the company picnic had arrived.

I rifled through my things trying to find the right outfit, "Okay, I give up. I have no idea what to wear to something like this."

As if on cue, I heard the pattering of feet running down the hallway. I turned just in time to see Chelsea and Casey appear at my door, holding a bag that was almost as big as they were.

"Toni! We got you something! Mom said we could surprise you with something for the picnic."

"Did she now?" I opened the bag to find a cute, summery outfit. Perfect for the occasion.

Toni's dress: