Not That Innocent

That evening I found myself gaping up at one of the most luxurious apartment buildings in the entire city.

I anxiously made my way inside and approached the doorman, "Hello. Uhh.. Cheryl Blossom invited me here for a job interview?"

"Yes, I've been expecting you." He smiled brightly. "You can go right up to the penthouse suite. Good luck."

I nodded politely before heading towards the elevator.

"I can't believe this place might actually be my home!" I took a deep breath to calm my racing pulse as I reached the top floor.

The doors of the elevator coast opened, letting me out into the palatial penthouse suite and directly in the path of children wielding foam swords!?

"Intruder at the castle gates! Ready your horses!" A small voice shouted.

"Aye, ready we be! Charge!"

"Whoa." With my hand as a shield, I braced myself as the duo ran towards me.

"Guys?"

The pair quickly dropped their swords when a voice called out.

"Ms. Topaz, I didn't hear you come in! Hey, give her some space. We don't want to send her off already." Ms. Blossom appeared, chuckling awkwardly.

"But Mom, we were gonna bring her straight to you! She looks like a lost princess or something." The girl's eyes gleamed as she stared up at me.

Ms. Blossom rolled her eyes, unimpressed. "Apologize. Now."

"Sorry, Ms. Topaz."

"Yeah, sorry."

"Close enough." Ms. Blossom shrugged. "Ms. Topaz, let's test your bedtime skills, shall we?"

I nodded, acutely aware of her gaze on me before I turned my attention to the twins.

"First things first. Have you brushed your teeth since dinner?" I asked.

"I'm on it!" The little girl bolted toward the bathroom, but her other half hung back and whined.

"Come on, lady. I hate brushing my teeth. Mint tastes gross."

Groaning internally, I leaned closer to him, lowering my voice,

"Hey, you don't want your sister to win, do you? She's already got a considerable jump on you. Unless... maybe you're okay with her being the fastest?"

"No way! I'm going right now!" He turned and sprinted down the hall, Ms. Blossom and I following close behind.

"Nicely done." She praised to which I simply smiled.

Ten minutes later, I settled another argument over the bedroom light staying on or off and what bedtime story to read.

Finally, I finished tucking the kids in then stepped back so their Mom could say goodnight.

"I like Ms. Topaz, Mom." The young boy said in between a yawn.

"Yeah, can we keep her?"

Ms. Blossom giggled at that, "We'll see, guys. Sweet dreams." She kissed them each on the head before stepping into the hallway.

As the two of us returned to the den, Ms. Blossom turned to me with an impressed smile,

"No one has ever been able to put them down like that on the first try. I normally have to step in and negotiate a deal."

"Well, what can I say?" I shrugged cockily.

We locked eyes for a long moment, the tension simmering in the air between us. Ms. Blossom chuckled.