Rumour Has It

My eyes widened and I momentarily forgot about packing.

"Cheryl's engaged!?"

I didn't normally read trashy tabloids, but I couldn't help scanning through the article.

"T, are you okay?" Josie asked cautiously.

I slumped against my bed, "Jose, this sucks! I could've sworn I felt something between us but.. maybe it was my imagination."

"You should confront her." Josie insisted.

"Over what?" I asked, growing frustrated. "This all but confirms nothing happened. Let's just focus on packing!"

Josie frowned but kept quiet while I aggressively wrapped fragile items in bubble paper.

So what if Cheryl's engaged? It's none of my business.

It's fine. I don't care.

. . .

Later that morning.

I approached the Blossom residence to find a congenial older man waiting for me in the lobby, "Pleased to make your acquaintance, Ms. Topaz. I'm Marcus, the Blossom family driver. I'll be at your service today to assist with your move."

"Wow, I've never had my own personal driver before." I laughed lightly.

Marcus smiled and hoisted several of my bags. He led me across the lobby and up to the penthouse,

"I hope you enjoy it here. Ms. Blossom spoke highly of you this morning. Said she feels you're the perfect addition to this family."

"Thanks. I appreciate that."

He gave me a nod before leaving.

I opened the door to the penthouse and walked to my bedroom. I took a deep breath and tried to clear my head of the drama as I unpacked.

Just as I picked up some of my lingerie, I heard a knock.

Cheryl poked her head through the open door with a smile. "I trust you're settling in okay?"

"Cheryl! I didn't expect to see you until later!" I jumped, startled, exceedingly aware of the delicate clothing in my grasp. "Oh, I'm settling in just fine."

Her eyes lingered on my hands before sliding back up to my face, "Good, good. Glad to hear it. I hate to do this to you at the last minute but I was called in to handle an emergency at the office. Can you watch the twins?"

I frowned sympathetically, "I hope it's nothing too serious?"

"Just a little PR nightmare to start the weekend. Nothing I can't handle." She waved her hand dismissively.

"Yeah? I find it hard to picture anything you can't handle." I chuckled.

A look of shock mixed with arousal crossed her face. "Have you been picturing me a lot?"

More than I should be, that's for sure.

You're forgetting she's ENGAGED, Toni!

My internal thoughts brought me back to reality, souring my mood entirely. "I can definitely look after the twins today. Whatever you need."

"You're a lifesaver. Now I have some basic rules." She sighed heavily. "No pillow fights in the master bedroom. No 'experiments' after dinner. No Toaster Tarts, ever... you'll thank me for that one. Oh, and never take the subway. Marcus will drive you anywhere you need to go."

Before I could respond, a loud BANG rang out. Cheryl and I shared a look before rushing off to investigate.

We entered the kitchen to find it covered in splatters of milk, cereal, and soda.