Now Or Never

The room stilled for a moment, Cheryl's confession hanging in the air.

"Toni? I said, I'm going to break up with Veronica." She said again.

I blinked up at her, certain she'd lost her mind.

"I thought you'd be happy--"

Before I knew what I was doing, I was yelling at her. "Happy? Are you crazy? The wedding.. and your parents.. she'll expose us and ruin you!"

Cheryl paused for a moment, taken aback by my reaction. "We'll figure it out. The accident showed me what's really important. Life is too short to keep worrying about everything else."

I looked deep in her eyes and saw nothing but sincerity. My heart leaped with excitement, and I allowed myself to indulge in the fantasy for awhile. "This means.. we can finally stop hiding. We can go on dates and tell people about our relationship and--"

Suddenly, I heard Chelsea's laughter out in the hallway, cutting me off.

Veronica called back. "I'm going to catch you! Muahahaha!"

"Not Monster Veronica!" The young girl cried out. "Avenge me, Admiral Casey!"

I closed my eyes as the giggles washed over me, bringing clarity with them.

If Veronica's willing to commit to them fully.. to end her fling and actually spend time with the twins... could I really be the one who stood in the way of that? After everything Casey and Chelsea had already lost?

"Toni?" Cheryl's voice pulled me back to reality.

As I looked into her eyes, their sparkle suddenly seemed naive, not exciting.

I knew what I had to do. I had to end this.

"Are you okay? Do we need to take you back to the hospital?" Cheryl reached out to cup my cheeks.

I shook my head as I blinked back tears. "Cheryl.. we can't do this."

"What are you talking about?"

"You have to marry Veronica."

"No, I don't. I choose you, Toni."

"But I can't be the reason you lose everything." My breath caught in my throat. "You've come too far to lose it all now because of me."

Cheryl sniffled and wiped her eyes, her next words throwing me off entirely. "Toni.. you're the love of my life."

I was completely shocked to my core.

I knew I was in love with Cheryl since that night we spent together after she told me she was leaving for Italy. And I knew she cared deeply for me -I'm not oblivious- but love?

The thought of her ever loving me? No. No. I may disagree with Veronica's way of life, but when it came to Cheryl she's always been right. I can't.. provide for Cheryl the way she deserves. Blosom Enterprises? The twins?  I- I can't- I can't. When it's all said and done, I'm just the nanny. Cheryl would be foolish to love me.

I held back a gasp, shaking my head. "Cheryl.. you don't love me. I was just a distraction for you. Let's not pretend this is something it's not."

Cheryl swiftly crossed the room to me, gripping my arms. "How could you say that, after everything we've been through?"

Her tearful expression quickly turned to one of anger. "I know what you're trying to do, Toni. I won't let you."

I wrenched free from her embrace, feeling a burst of rage bubbling inside of me. I latched onto it, letting it overtake the pain. Anything was better than the pain.