On The Go

The morning after the gala.

I stood in the kitchen, doing my best to pretend like it was just another day. I poured myself a fresh cup of coffee while Casey and Chelsea ate their wheat germ oatmeal at the counter.

"Sorry about breakfast guys, but it's the best I could do with Veronica's new diet guidelines."

"It might not be so bad if it came with a side of bacon." Casey smirked slyly.

"I don't think even that would help. Besides, Aunt V got rid of all our bacon, remember?" Chelsea frowned.

"Good morning."

I tried not to flush as Cheryl entered the room. Just the sound of her voice was enough to bring the memories of last night rushing back.

"Toni? Are you alright?" She called.

I shook myself out of my reverie and turned to her. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired. I didn't get much sleep last night, hence the coffee." I raised the mug to prove my point. I watched her closely, trying to gauge her mood.

She shook her head. "We shouldn't have stayed at the gala so long. I apologize for keeping you out late."

"I'm tired too! Can I have coffee?" Casey looked at his mom with hopeful eyes.

Cheryl ruffled his hair. "I don't think you'd like it, bud. It's pretty bitter."

I glanced at the twins, then back at Cheryl, dropping my voice to a whisper. "Can we talk later?" I asked.

She stiffened, keeping her eyes glued on her kids. "Yes. Later."

I noticed the emphasis on the word, but before I could respond, Cheryl grabbed her cup of coffee and headed to her home office.

I watched her retreating figure sadly, trying to ignore the pain in my heart.

. . .

After breakfast, I was helping the twins get ready for the day when Cheryl knocked on their bedroom door. "I'm about to go into the office, but I wanted to talk to you first."

My heart stuttered at her declaration until I realised she was talking to the twins.

Get it together, Toni. Now is definitely not an appropriate time for us to discuss our horizontal tango.

Cheryl took a seat then cleared her throat as the twins put their arms around her.

"What's wrong, Mom?" Chelsea asked. "You look sad."

"I'm not sad. I just know you're not going to like what I have to say." She sighed softly.

"Then you gotta just rip it off. Like a Band-Aid." Casey encouraged.

That made her smile. "Right, like a Band-Aid." She gathered herself then said, "I have to go to Italy for a business trip.. as soon as possible."

"What? You're fleeing the country?" I blurted.

Cheryl stared at me with an annoyed expression. "I wouldn't call it 'fleeing.' Blossom Enterprises has been in negotiations for months, and after the Milan breach.. well, my dad just doesn't trust anyone else to handle it."

"What about us?" The twins worried. "Aunt V isn't staying here, is she?"

"No, she'll be in Naples with me. But don't worry, you won't be alone. You'll have Toni."

I felt her gaze on me, but I focused on the twins, trying to stay upbeat. "Let's calm down. It's just a flight and some meetings, right? I bet your mom will be back before we know it."