Face The Music

One week later.

Josie visited to help me get ready for the Blossom's Country Club garden party. I updated her on everything that's happened.

"Cheryl said her parents want to meet me. Can you believe it? I'm just the nanny!"

She rolled her eyes. "There's nothing 'just' about you, Toni. Besides, wouldn't you want to know the woman who's taking care of your grandchildren?"

I thought for a second. "I guess that's true.. if I were a millionaire anyway."

Josie nodded. "Exactly. Now back to why I'm here. Show me what you got."

We dug through my closet, picking out dress after dress. After a few minutes, she finally pulled something out. "Oooo, this one speaks to me! Her parents will love you in it."

"Let me try it on."

Toni's outfit:

I quickly changed and returned to the room

I quickly changed and returned to the room. I spun around so Josie could get the full view. "Well?"

"Even I want you to be my daughter-in-law in that dress." She said and I laughed loudly. "You're crazy."

Just then, there was a knock at the door. Cheryl poked her head through. "You ready to go, Toni?"

Her eyes widened as she took me in from head to toe. "Wow, you look.."

"Gorgeous? Radiant? Stunning?" Josie pestered.

Cheryl turned to her, just having noticed her presence. "Oh hello, I didn't realize you had company."

Josie smiled. "I'm Josie, Toni's best friend."

"And she was just helping me get ready. Thanks again, Jose." I pulled her in for a hug.

"Trust me, it was my pleasure. I'll get out of your hair. Good luck." She waited until Cheryl's back turned, then gave me a look and fanned herself before leaving.

I rolled my eyes at her antics.

"Ready?" Cheryl asked again and with a nod, I followed her out to the car.

. . .

Soon, we were headed upstate to the Blossom's country club. I sat in the back with the twins, trying not to notice how distracted Cheryl was in the front seat with Veronica.

Did I mention she was coming? Ugh.

"Toni, do you think they'll have fish eggs at the club again?" Casey asked. "Last time we did this experiment-"

"Let's not do any experiments, okay? It's an important day for your mom." I instructed.

"But Grandpa and Grandma says.."

They continued to protest, but Cheryl's whispered conversation with Veronica caught my ear.

"You know how my parents feel about tabloids. They're not going to be happy that our engagement leaked like that." Cheryl said.