NSFW

One week later.

I'd been on duty as Veronica's maid of honour, helping her pick out china patterns for the reception.

I squinted at the dinnerware with confusion. "These all look the same to me..."

"Really? But they're so different!" Veronica argued.

I sighed, looking at the three options in front of me again. The first one was completely red. The second one had a gold leaf pattern around it. And the last one, was white with a red and gold flower pattern.

I liked the last one best. I held it up to Veronica's eyes. She took it from my hands, and looked at it closely. "It does have a classic elegance to it. Good choice."

Veronica flagged down a saleswoman to discuss the details, and I slumped back in my chair.

I wonder if Jason's faring any better as Cheryl's man of honour? Who am I kidding, of course he was. They got to plan the fun stuff, like the wedding band)

My phone buzzed in my pocket, and I was beyond relieved to see a notification from Cheryl.

Cheryl
Quick Q: is a zydeco band too much for
the reception?
Be honest

Me
WTF is zydeco?

Cheryl
You know, that sweet sweet blend of
blues and jazz
Started in Louisiana
Heavily features piano accordion

Me
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say..
Veronica's probably gonna be just as confused

Cheryl
Yeah, you're probably right
Guess it's a good thing we went with a
regular ole string quartet

Me
So youre all done for the day?

Cheryl
Yeah just got back to the villa after
dropping Jason off

Me
Jealous

Cheryl
Is Veronica behaving herself on your end?

As if on cue, Veronica's raised voice broke though my focus.

"What do you mean, you don't have one hundred place settings of this pattern in stock? My wedding is in three days!" She yelled at the saleswoman.

Me
...

Cheryl
That bad?

Me
I wish I was back at the villa w you
Tbh the saleslady prob does too

Cheryl
I don't know about the saleslady
But I definitely wish you were here
It's too quiet right now with the twins napping

Me
I can think of a few ways to pass the time..

Cheryl
It's not as fun without you though

Me
I could always send a pic to help things along

Cheryl
Seriously?

Me
Only if you send one back

Cheryl
I'm game if you are

I put my phone down for a second and took a deep, calming breath. Veronica was still arguing with the saleswoman, and it didn't look like it'll be resolved anytime soon.

I waved at her to get her attention. "I have to take this phone call, do you mind?"

"Do whatever. Can't you tell I'm in the middle of a negotiation? I need complete focus." Veronica groaned and resumed her conversation.

I rolled my eyes, then made my way to the private bathroom at the back of the store, making sure to lock the door behind me.

I took a steadying breath, then reopened my chat with Cheryl.