After Dark

The next evening, after putting the twins to bed.

I was in my room, when I heard a sharp tapping on my door. I braced myself as I went to answer it, already knowing who to expect.

"Veronica.. hey."

"So? Have you thought about my offer? Or are you just going to keep avoiding me in an attempt to buy more time?" Veronica asked, skipping pleasantries.

"My thought is that Cheryl's too good for all of this. She deserves to be loved by her fiancee, not bartered away."

Veronica feigned sympathy. "What a sweet notion, but let's reframe the issue in reality, shall we?"

I exhaled though my nose, feeling completely cornered. "This is so messed up! How can you be so willing to take away everything from Cheryl just to get what you want? I thought you considered her a friend?"

"Sometimes business requires sacrifices, even friendly ones." She shrugged. "But I wouldn't allow you two to continue your little tryst until the wedding if I didn't feel some affection for her. Although obviously, you'll have to stop after we're married, for appearance's sake."

"Wow. How generous." I said flatly.

"Enough with the back and forth." Veronica said impatiently. "What'll it be?"

I hate to admit it, but I knew what my answer would be since she first prepositioned me.

She's giving me everything I want, even if it's only until the wedding. How could I refuse? "Fine. You have a deal. But know that I'm not doing this for you."

"I don't care why you're doing it, as long as it's done." Veronica stated. "Now, I think I'll go for a nice, long walk. It's a beautiful night, and I'm sure I won't be back until late. You should take advantage of it while you can."

She breezed from the room without another word, and I sank unto my bed. I closed my eyes, attempting to push away all thoughts of Veronica and her deal. The more I thought about her offer, the angrier I got at the audacity of it. I felt so antsy and wound up, I- I needed.. Cheryl.

Veronica may have me beat in the boardroom. She might be making headway with the twins. But Cheryl was where I always won. And she's in her room, right now, alone.

With that in mind, I quickly sat up and practically ran towards her door.

. . .

There's a hint of trepidation as I slipped though the quiet villa toward Cheryl's room. Act natural, Toni. If anyone asks, you're just.. looking for a glass of water!

I glanced around, then took a deep breath and knocked on Cheryl's door. I heard shuffling from the other side, before it swung open to reveal Cheryl almost completely bare before me!

She looked at me with apprehension. "Toni, I wasn't expecting you so late. Is everything okay?"

Reeling back from her lack of clothing, I glanced around once more before asking, "Can I come in?"

"Of course." Cheryl stepped back to let me inside.

I took in the room, noting that there were no signs of Veronica's belongings anywhere.

I didn't think they were sharing a room here.. guess this confirms it.

"Are you alright?" Cheryl asked.

I turned, my eyes traveled slowly over Cheryl's body. I stepped closer, heart pounding hard. "No. But I will be."

Mustering all my courage, I surged forward, knitting my fingers behind her neck and drawing her into a kiss.