Chapter Three: Stupid Man And His Stupid Plums And His Stupid Thin Walls ...

Three Days Later:

Three Days Later:

I had unpacked most of my belongings into my new bedroom. There were still a couple boxes left. They were mostly just my drawings. I liked drawing. It was cathartic. I would draw whenever I was stressed or upset. It helped with my anxiety.

"Hey," I heard from my door.

I turned and saw Wanda standing there. She had helped move the heavier boxes with her magic.

"Everyone's coming back today," she said.

"Oh. okay," I said giving her a small smile.

I wasn't really up for small talk. I just wanted to finish unpacking and relax a bit before Barnes came back.

"You know, you don't have to be so standoffish with everyone all the time. It's okay to be friendly with people here. We won't hurt you."

"I know ... I just ... It's just better this way. The less people know about me, the better. Information is power and I don't want people to hold certain things about my past against me," I shrugged.

"I understand. Just ... don't push people away too much. You might regret it in the future" she smiled and walked out of my room.

I knew she was right but still in the back of my mind I had doubts. I didn't trust anyone. Not yet anyways.

_______________________________________

A Couple Hours Later: The Common Room

I was drinking coffee and leaning against the sink when everyone from the mission came in chattering amongst themselves.

"HEY MEL," Sam yelled, walking over to me, and pulling me into a hug.

When the hell did he start to think we were close?

I strained to get loose from his grip on me. I knew it seemed rude, but the sudden embrace made me really uncomfortable. Like he was suffocating me.

"Not a hugger huh?" Sam chuckled.

I just looked at him and shrugged. I wasn't.

"Also, not a big talker either ... you're gonna be interesting having around," he grinned.

I rolled my eyes, while a small smile tugged at my lips. He was one of the only ones who could pull a genuine smile out of me. He was very charming and charismatic to say the least.

"Ahh. There it is, a smile. A small smile, but a smile nonetheless."

"Leave the poor girl alone Sam," Steve laughed.

I looked over at Steve and gave him a genuine smile. I liked him the best. He seemed kind and I knew how much he cared about our country and what he had done to protect it.

"OH, for him you smile for. Of course, it always Cap getting all the girls," Sam complained.

I laughed but quickly covered it up. Fuck. Did that really just slip out ...