Chapter Thirteen: So What, I'm Just Supposed To Die An Old Maid?

The Tower: 30 Minutes Before the Party

I stood in front of my mirror, looking at my complexion. I had done a light pink/neutral eye look so it would look nice and compliment my dress.

"Mel!" I heard from outside.

I peeked my head out to see Nat by her opened door, frantically pulling at her dress.

"I need help. The zipper is stuck," she grumbled in frustration.

I laughed and walked over to help her. Walking into her room, I saw dresses upon dresses scattered throughout her room. I was swimming through the dresses to get to her.

"Nat, your room is a mess."

She looked around and sighed to herself.

"I know. I'll clean it up after the party."

That was probably a lie. She seemed like a party girl. The kind to get so drunk they forget where their own room is.

"Mhm. Sure you will," I giggled.

She turned around, showing me the back of her dress. It was a long black dress that hugged her curves nicely. The back was modestly covered. I grabbed onto the zipper and pulled up. It seemed the zipper had gotten caught on the fabric and that was why it wasn't going up. After dislodging it, I was able to pull it up with no problem.

"There you go. You look stunning," I beamed.

"Thanks!"

She whipped around and took in my appearance.

"Mel ... wow. You look ... heavenly."

I felt the apples of my cheeks get hot.

"Thanks. I got it today at Gucci."

Her hands came out, tracing the soft fabric.

"It's beautiful. As are you. Did Barnes see it on you?"

I snorted.

"Nah. I just grabbed it off the rack. I didn't bother trying it on. It was my size," I shrugged.

Her lips lifted into a smirk.

"He's gonna plotz."

I smacked her arm and rolled my eyes.

"Oh, stop it Nat. When I asked him what he thought, he almost didn't let me buy it. Said it showed too much. I can barely get a word in otherwise with that man without us going at each other's throats."

"He's not wrong but I like it. It looks good with your olive skin tone."

I hummed in agreement.

"I should get back. I still gotta find a necklace and earrings to wear with this."

"Do you wanna borrow something of mine?" she offered.

I shook my head no.

"It's okay. I'm sure I can whip something up."