Chapter Twenty-Four: You are a real person, Pinocchio

Mel's Bedroom:

Mel's Bedroom:

The sheets are entangled between us as the moon shined brightly through the large windows of my bedroom. Bucky's head rested on my stomach facing me.

"Fuck. I've missed this. I've miss you so damn much sweetheart."

Smiling sweetly at him, I ran my fingers through his hair. "You keep saying that."

"Because it's true. I love the way you make me feel."

My fingers moved from his hair to his jaw, caressing the edge. His eyes shut, relishing in my touch. "Yeah? and how's that?" I teased.

"Like a real person."

My smile faltered slightly. "You are a real person, Pinocchio," I whispered.

"Sometimes I feel like I'm not. Like at any moment I could just go back. Just wake up and you would be gone and I would be there. In that room. Strapped in. And this would all just be a dream."

His voice was dry and cracked. I listened to him talk. I wanted to know what happened so I could comfort him in whatever way he needed.

"And I love you so fucking much Ella. It's terrifying as hell because you make me feel so deeply. You make me feel like I could be good. The thought of disappointing you - I ... I can't promise that this will work in the long run. I can't promise you a giant house with kids and a white picket fence. Not in this lifetime but sometimes ... I think I could if I tried hard enough."

A small tear fell from the side of his eye and landed on my stomach. "You could never disappoint me Bucky. I am yours. I am here and I'm not leaving you again. I promise you that."

His hand reached out to grab mine. The pad of his thumb rubbed against the top of my hand slowly.

"My regret is not kissing you sooner. When we left that bar and you asked me if I was going to do anything, God I wanted to. I wanted to grab you and kiss you until your lips bruised. That was my biggest mistake. Not kissing you in that moment like I should've."

"I think the way this all happened was the way it was supposed to go. We fell in love with each other despite the hostility we felt towards each other. No matter how hard I tried to escape you, you were everywhere. You were everything I saw."

He stayed silent for a few moments, turning his body to look up at the ceiling.

"I never apologized for what I did."

"What? I should've been the one apologizing. I ran away from you and everyone."

He lifted his body from the bed, looking directly at me. His face was serious. "No. I'm talking about the night I killed your father."

I shook my head.

"No, no Bucky. That wasn't -"

"But I still did it!" he half shouted.