Chapter Twenty-Three: I Love You Like How Harry Loves Sally

Evening:

Evening:

I wiggled my leg up and down, biting on my cuticles as I sat on the kitchen counter. Sam was making me French toast. His brows were knitted tightly as he focused on the cooking.

"Would you quit it?!"

I looked up from my phone. I had tried to distract myself with social media. Searching up new books I was interested in or new music that had just come out, but my mind ran wild about Bucky. How was he feeling? Was he also nervous? Or maybe he was cool and collected because he already knew what he was going to say. I wish I did.

"Stop what?"

He clanged his form down and turned around to narrow his eyes at me. "The leg shaking. It's so loud."

I sunk into my chair, unaware of how noisy I was being.

"Sorry," I answered sheepishly.

He shook his head. "Do you want something to drink? An alcoholic drink might help with the nerves."

I shrugged.

"I guess. Dirty martini with extra olives."

He smiled. "I still remember."

He bounced to the drinking cart that was next to the space that connected us to the entertainment rooms. The was a whole bar in a separate room, but the cart was for easy access.

I watched as he made my drink. In another life, he could've been a bartender. He didn't even have to count with the gin. He just knew, and it amazed me how well he looked as he stirred it.

"One dirty martini with extra olives," he announced as he placed the drink in front of me.

A flash from the day Bucky spilled the martini on my shirt played through my head. How mad I had been. How snarky and proud he looked at his handiwork.

I wished he was here to spill it over me again. Anything to just get us back to how we were. I wasn't sure if that was possible anymore.

"Thanks," I gave him a forced smile.

He rubbed my shoulder. "Perk up. It's all gonna work out Melly. You'll see."

I eyes him up. "You have way too much positivity in you."

"And you have too much negativity in you," he chuckled.

"I guess opposites attract," I winked.

He rolled his eyes playfully. "Don't let Bucky hear you talk to me like that. He'll kill me, and then somehow bring me back to life just so he can kill me all over again."

"Why you? I'm the one that said it."

"He's in love with you. You can do no wrong. He'll blame me for seducing you."

You can do no wrong ... he's in love with you. But ... was he? Still? After everything?

"Right," I said monotonously. "Except I did do a lot of wrong. To him."