Chapter Ten: Hello, Those Are Strings Pinocchio

A/N: Okay guys! Lots of drama in this one so buckle in!

_________________________________________

Two Weeks Later: The Common Room

I had sent Morgan to preschool, so I had a couple hours to myself. I tidied up Morgan's room a bit because I was bored and then headed to the common room.

Walking in, I saw Wanda leaning against the kitchen counter eating oatmeal. She turned her head to me and grinned.

"Hey Mel!"

I returned the smile.

"Hey. Where's everyone?"

"Training mostly. And some others are just out I think," she shrugged.

I nodded. I wondered where Bucky was. Not because I cared, but because I didn't want to see him. That's what I told myself.

"He's also training," Wanda announced.

"What?" I asked stunned.

"Bucky. He's also training."

"I didn't ask."

"No. But you were thinking it," she shrugged.

I clenched my fist tightly.

"Stay out of my head Wanda," I glared.

She chuckled and walked out of the room. I huffed and went over to the couch to sit down. It was nice having this space to myself, even if it was just for a while. I had no doubt someone would eventually come in at some point.

I closed my eyes and sighed lightly. I pictured myself in a forest surrounded by trees. Just me, sitting under a big weeping willow tree with a book in my hand. I felt calmer. I wished I could just leave everything behind and just stay under that tree forever.

Suddenly, I got the feeling that I was being watched. I stiffened slightly but didn't move. Feeling something hover over me, I quickly opened my eyes and grabbed onto it, tossing it over me and onto the ground.

"Holy hell Mel," I heard Sam groan as he rubbed his neck.

Huh ... that rhymed.

I quietly chuckled to myself.

"Shouldn't sneak up to me like that," I shrugged.

"Just wanted to come and give you a kiss."

I assumed he was joking but still ... I lifted an eyebrow.

"A kiss?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"I don't know. Just felt like it."

I looked at him and smiled. He was basically the only guy I could feel sane around right now. Surprisingly enough, I didn't mind if he decided to kiss me. But I didn't think I had any actual romantic feelings for him. I also didn't get involved with people I worked with. Technically we did "work" together. He was an Avenger, and I was an Avenger's nanny.