Chapter Two

I walked into the house. My mom had cleared the living room. Since we were going to be moving to her friend's house, she figured we wouldn't need most of the furniture so she sold the ones still good for sale and dashed out some to people who needed them.

The living room was filled with boxes. Each box had a tag to know what was inside. I was glad my mom had done most of the packing.

She was in the kitchen making something to eat.

“Mom, I'm home.” I announced, walking over to her. She hugged me and pecked my cheeks.

“I'm not even going to ask how today went because it's the last day and sure it went well.” she smiled and I laughed.

“Yes mom it went well.” I said. “I see you've packed already.”

“Well, yeah. I did everything already.” she sighed looking around with a proud look on her face.

“Mom, you must be tired. I'll make the food, go lie down and I'll make the food in no time.” I said taking the spoon from her hand.

“I can handle it, Jin.” she said taking back the spoon. “Go pack the rest of your stuff and food will be ready in no time.”

I sighed in defeat. “Alright.”

I made my way into my room which is almost empty except the mattress that layed carelessly on the floor, some boxes that littered the floor and some of my clothes in the hanger.

Since my mom had probably packed everything in my room, I walked into the bathroom and to my surprise she had packed everything except my toothbrush and some other things I'd need before we eventually move.

It gave me time to rest. I showered and layed on the mattress. I went through social media for a while and decided to just lay back and think about nothing and everything.

I thought about how we were leaving the house we have lived in since before I was born.

My dad owned the house three years before he even met my mom. I heard about their love story from almost everyone in the street. They were so in love.

About ten years ago, my dad got a job offer in the US. He went because the pay was high and he could take care of my mom and I better.

He went to the US and came back in December for the Christmas holiday every year for five years. Until one day, he didn't come. We asked why he didn't come and he explained that he had to work.

For two years we didn't see my dad and he barely contacted us. Sometimes, we'd call him and he wouldn't pick and sometimes he'd pick and say he's busy. It went on like that until my mom couldn't take it anymore.

She contacted his boss and asked to speak with my dad because he had been avoiding our calls. He picked up and apologized for treating us that way but he blamed it on work.

One day, my mom got a text message from my dad calling her names, mocking the fact that she couldn't have another child after me and telling her not to contact him again. She tried calling him so he could tell her to her face but he didn't pick up the phone and since then, we've just been on our own, my mom and I.

I understood everything. Probably he met someone else there. I saw that my mom was trying to be strong in front of me and I really pitied her.

I envied how strong she was. She didn't even drink or party or let my dad's abandonment bother her. Of course she was sad about it for like a month or two but after then, she made me her priority and decided that she wouldn't let anything happen to me.

She got a job as an editor in a magazine company and she's doing really well taking care of herself and me.

I was the one who brought up the idea of moving out. I couldn't stand being in the house of the man that abandoned us. My mom seemed to understand and agreed with me.

For six months, we've been planning to move out but we didn't get a place. My mom texted my dad to let him know we would be moving out of his house but he didn't reply nor call her back.

She met with her best friend from childhood who asked us to move in with her since she had two extra rooms in her house.

My mom's friend, Min Sehun lost her husband who was a police officer about three years ago, that was what I was told by the way. I have never heard of this my mom's friend until she asked us to move in.

All this while, I wasn't alone because I had someone who was beside me. And that person is none other than Jung Hoseok. We have been best friends since birth. His mom is the only friend of my mom I know of.

Hoseok is a ray of sunshine on my rainy days. He's always cheering me up and he has always been there for me. We have been through thick and thin together. We've had fights but we still figure out how to solve them.

He slept over at my house countless times and I did too. We have been friends for 19 years now. Although he lived far from me when we were kids.

I have never once doubted my friendship with Hoseok. He was the first thing that always come to my mind when I woke up in the morning.

His calls are like alarm on school days. He would take me out on weekends and we'd spend Sundays painting or just away from each other for some sort of space.

At school, I had my own friends, Soojin and Jukyung. He had his own friends too. They were seven. Two of which are older and in a higher grade than him. One in the same class as both of us and three in the lower grade.

I was surprised when I heard he's friends with boys in lower grades because girls and some boys don't seem to do that at our school. It made them stand out.

They were like popular but not the cliché type of popular. They were in the school band so it added popularity.

It's still a shock to me as the only friends of his I know was Namjoon who is in the same class as me and Jungkook who took me as his older sister since he met me in Hoseok's house last year.

At school, we don't really have conversations since he's in another department as me. The only time we're together is either in the morning for morning announcement and sometimes during lunch and the only class we have together is P.E. but still we don't get to be in the same team to be able to talk because he's always on the boy's team and I'm on the girl's team.

But after school, we're the closest. Always together watching movies, going for walks, playing video games and other stuff.

At nineteen, it's still a shock to me as neither one of us had acted weirdly towards the other. Of course we are very touchy and we kissed once as a result of a truth or dare game we played last year on the last day of school. But it was just that. Nothing happened and I was really glad because I really wanted to prove people who believe a boy and a girl can't be best friends wrong.

I was really grateful for having someone like Hoseok in my life. I would have been lonely if not for him. He taught me how to make friends which resulted in me been friends with Soojin and Jukyung since two years ago.

Hoseok and his mom would have helped us with moving in with them but they didn't have extra rooms at their house.

My phone buzzed which brought me out of my thoughts. I glanced at the caller ID

Hobi

I picked it up in an instant.

“Yo!” I sat up.

“Did you leave school already?” he asked.

“Yeah I did. I have to pack. We're moving this weekend remember?” I said.

“Oh yeah right.” he said. “I'm coming over tonight.”

“Okay.” I said.

“Whats up? You sound different.” he asked concerned.

“I'm fine, I've just been doing some thinking.” I sighed.

“Typical Hyojin.” he said. “I'm coming over right now so we can think together.” he said and hung up so I wouldn't protest.

I felt happy knowing I meant as much to him as he meant to me.

I slowly drifted into sleep.