Chapter Thirty Nine

It had been about a week since the amusement park, getting home about three days ago. I hadn’t talked to Niall much since that day, a few uneasy, short embraces and kisses here and there. Mostly it was me trying to hide the fact that I was upset that he didn’t want people to know. But he knew; I know he knew that I was upset and why. But yet he didn’t try to fix it. I stood at the end of my bed, until I heard some sort of arguing going on out in the family room. I opened the door and traveled down the hallway, seeing Niall and Harry standing in the family room in what seemed to be a heated debate.

            “Niall, you have to tell them the truth!” Harry shouted at him as he just stood there, speechless. “Most times I wouldn’t care, but this is getting a little out of hand.” He told him sternly as Niall shrugged. I leaned against the doorframe as I watched them fight about something that seemed to be quite important to Harry. Niall briefly looked my way, catching his eyes on mine. Harry’s head turned towards me as I knew he was about to get my input, I always seemed to get involved in their little fits somehow.

            “Sky, come here.” Harry asked in a much nicer tone than he was using with Niall. I sighed as I walked over slowly and Harry held up a magazine to me. I read the title

            Harry Styles love triangle?

            I looked at the pictures underneath. One was of Alli and him holding hands walking around, and then one with Harry giving me a piggyback ride, but conveniently they cut Allison out of it. I huffed at the ridiculous title and shoved it back into Harry’s chest and looked at Niall. My look burned into his eyes as his expression changed from anger to worry. I didn’t say a word to him, not a single word. I simply turned around and walked back to my room. I shut the door behind me as I walked to my bed and sat down. My hands ran through my hair out of aggravation. My hands wandered the covers until I found my buzzing phone. I unlocked it and looked at the screen.

            Allison

            Hey what are you up to?

            I typed out a whole long text about how the media seems to think we’re both dating Harry, and how annoyed I am that Niall won’t tell, even if it is effect one of his best friend’s reputation. I sent the text and then lied back in my bed. There was a knock on my door and before I would even speak the door opened and Niall nervously walked in. You could tell he must have been still frightened by the unpleasant look he received from me. His left hand found the back of his neck as he stared down at me. His usually light blue eyes had a darker tint to them as he parted his lips to speak but nothing came out. I raised my eyebrows in annoyance and he let out a deep sigh.

            “I just.” He started but stopped and sat down on the bed next to my feet. “I know you’re upset with me.” he confessed as his head hung low. “I mean, I don’t know exactly why, but I know sorta.” I watched as his leg tapped anxiously and his eyes found mine.

            “How do you not know why?” I looked at him with a confused expression and he shrugged, “I’m mostly upset because one of your best friends are out there, and the media is talking bad about them and you have the power to stop it, and you won’t.” I told him sternly, taking him aback.

            “I just can’t.” he mumbled quietly, his eyes losing contact with mine as they fell to the floor.

            “I don’t want to hear it Niall, please. Save it for someone else.” I replied harshly as he shook his head in frustration.

            “You’re being ridiculous.” He mumbled under his breath just loud enough for me to hear.

            “I’m being ridiculous? At least I would have the decency to be there for my friend when he really needed me.” I spat back.  I don’t know where the sudden anger was coming from, but it was there. I was sick of the excuses. I really really was.