92 Days

Prologue:     

            I sat up from my bed slowly, making my way to the front porch of the beach house looking out at the ocean. I opened the door cautiously taking in the soft summer breeze against my bare legs and arms, and the scent of the newly planted flowers that came along with it. I stared out at the ocean wondering what it would be like if this summer never happened, if I could just forget everything.

            I walked out and closed the door quietly behind me, being sure not to wake anyone who was sleeping throughout the house. I sat on the bench and pulled my knees to my chest, a few tears slipping out unexpectedly.

            “How could I be so stupid?” I mumbled to myself over and over.  Honestly, how could I be? To believe someone like him could change was ridiculous, but he sure did put on a good show all this time. A few more tears started to fall the more I thought. We were all leaving tomorrow whether we liked it or not, and at this point, I was happy about it.

            I looked up as I saw headlights pull up in front of the house. I pulled my hood up and slumped down lower on the bench, watching through the spindles on the railing as I saw him get out and grab her by her waist kissing her roughly on the lips. I felt more tears build up and I knew I couldn’t hold it in as I felt my heart drop and break into a thousand pieces as it hit my stomach. That should be me is all I could think at this point, but I deserved better and I knew that. I was now standing at the railing, watching and crying, looking at the two caught up in each other as I took a gasp of breath which caught his attention.

            “Skyler…It’s not what you think.” He yelled as he left the mystery girl, running up the front stairs towards me.

          Ninety-one days spent falling for someone I thought I knew; Ninety-one days completely wasted.