Chapter Forty

My eyes shot up as the loud rumble entered through the walls, shaking them slightly. I saw the light from the moon shine through my window as the rain splattered on the glass. My nightlight had gone out as I was sleeping, making me feel uneasy. I gripped the blanket tighter as another roar engulfed the room. I liked thunderstorms, but this was beyond that. I ripped the blankets off of me and ran to the other side of the room, my hand searching for the light switch. Nothing happened and I sighed deeply, internally panicking. I wasn’t a fan of the dark and now the power was out. Wonderful I mumbled to myself worriedly. I grabbed my phone from my bed and walked to the door slowly. It was the middle of the night and I knew no one would be awake. I opened my door, the dark of the hall seeping into my bedroom. I used my phone as a flashlight as I practically ran up the stairs. The thunder blared through my ears and palm trees crashed against the window in the hallway upstairs. I got to Niall’s door and didn’t think first before flinging it open loudly. Niall jumped from his bed frantically, trying to see who was standing in the door way.

            “Sky?” he questioned sleepily as I walked towards his bed. “What’re you doing?”

            “Do you not hear it outside?” I asked softly. A quiet chuckle escaped Niall’s lips as he pulled down the comforter of his bed. He tugged on my hand, pulling me down next to him and replacing the blanket back over us. He wrapped his arm around me as I cuddled into his chest.

            “I told you before we went to sleep that they said there was going to be tropical storm coming.” he giggled kissing the top of my head, rubbing my arm with his fingertips soothingly.

            “I know.” I sighed. The sound of Niall’s voice comforted me within a matter of seconds.

            “And you still told me to sleep in my room.” his tone was playful and sleepy as he snuggled his head against mine.

            “You shouldn’t have listened to me.” I retorted as if it were obvious.

            “Oh yeah, because that has gotten me so far before.” He laughed lightly as my fingertips comfortingly brushed over his bare chest. We stayed quiet for a few minutes, the rain and thunder being the only sounds in the room. I lied on his chest listening to his heartbeat and letting it comfort me further.

            “Are you ever gonna tell anyone?” I whispered, but he didn’t answer. I looked up to see Niall fast asleep once again. I smiled at his innocence, him being in such a vulnerable state. He held me close as he slept still, and soon I fell unconscious as well.

*

            “Babe, Allison wants us all to go over her house. She’s alone and her power is out so she’s bored!” I yelled to Niall as he showered in his bathroom. I watched as his head peaked out of the shower curtain, a confused expression across his face.

            “You know I can’t hear you, right?” he smirked as I walked over to him and yelled again.

            “Allison wants us to come over because her power is out and she doesn’t want to be alone!” I shouted in his face. A laugh erupted from my mouth as his finger lifted to his ear,

            “Yeah, I think I heard you that time.” He chuckled. He leaned out a bit more placing a wet kiss on my lips. “Alright, I’ll be out in a minute.” I walked back out of the bathroom as he emerged back into the shower. I sat on his bed and fiddled with my phone until the water turned off. Niall stepped out of the shower and I covered my eyes quickly. I heard him laugh and enter the room,