five: destitutione

{destitutione (noun) – the action of deserting or abandoning a state of hopefulness.}

newt's pov:

When I felt the cold water splash across my face, I thought I was drowning.

Once I realised it was Amos who had actually just thrown a glass of water over me as I slept, I instead grew incredibly angry.

"What the fuck is wrong with you, Amos? I was trying to fucking sleep, are you kidding me?"

The man did not stay put, instead, aggressively shoves the glass on the side table, and rushed to the other side of the room. I watched the boy rummage through my belongings, throwing clothes and books out of the trunk in the corner.

I only grew more frustrated.

"What the hell?! Amos, fucking stop!"

The boy seemed out of breath and hysterical, as he ignored my yells from behind him and continued to throw everything I own out onto the floor.

He turned to me then, when the trunk was empty and he realised that the thing he was probably looking for was not in there.

He looked uneased. "Pack everything you care about; we leave in 20."

And that was all Amos said, before he stood abruptly and headed out the door.

What the fuck?

I decided to follow the boy, as I headed out the door behind him, desperate to stop him in his brisk pace. "Amos! Can you fucking stop for two seconds? What is going on?"

He didn't slow down, ignoring me completely, the boy continued on, headed right for the council room.

Fi and Rainer were already there, loading their weapons with bullets.

Amos made a beeline for the both of them, anxiously grabbing at the weapons. "Do you think this will be enough?"

I watched as the boy nervously held his gun, his fingers possibly shaking.

"We'll find out if it's not." Rainer replied, much colder than I would have expected.

Even Fi looked emotionless.

"What is going on?" I asked, hoping to get one of their attentions, but to no avail.

They continued on like I wasn't even there, completely ignoring my existence and hurriedly filling their pistols with bullets and assuring the daggers were sharp enough.

I watched as they paced around the room, whispering under their breaths before going back to the large map in the middle of the table.

Someone had marked it since I last saw it; we had a location to go to, it seems.

But then I heard footsteps coming from behind me, and the oh so familiar Dion entered the room.

"Oh, hey blondie." He said, nodding at me with a smile before joining the others around the table.

I blinked, confused, before rushing over to the boy.

"Di, what the fuck is going on? Why is everyone acting like the world's ending?"

He was the only one who seemed to realise I existed. The boy turned his head to me, and flashed a short toothy smile. "Because it is kind of. I mean, not the actual world, but our world maybe."

Dion merely shrugged, before turning back to the table.

I felt as if my brain might short circuit. "What do you mean, maybe?! What is happening?"