seventeen: periculosum

{periculosum - a noun for something that is hazardous, often unknown to those around it.}

9 YEARS, SIX MONTHS AND TWELVE DAYS EARLIER

Two men, both saddled in white lab coats and smug faces read from the copied notes before them. The taller of the two exclaimed from disbelief, "Has taken down men twice her size by the age of twelve – I've never heard of anything like it!" The man briefly paused, taking a second gander.

"I must say though sir, we cannot neglect the possibility of this child becoming increasingly dangerous. While it's important to maintain elation at her improvement within her training, we need to understand and reflect on the past and the mistakes made – this could end drastically for all parties involved and we need to be prepared for when that happens."

The other man raised his hand, silencing the man next to him. He did so without hesitation and allowed the other man to speak. "She is an asset, Michael. There is no fear in my mind that she is someone we have to protect ourselves from, instead, we get to embrace her qualities. Her, dare I say, 'institutionalisation' into this place has almost guaranteed her resediment here, with us, the people who care for her."

They continued to walk, slowly beside the other. The taller man could not seem to let it go. "She is dangerous, sir. I've seen this before; an anomaly. The one in the ranks who easily secedes the others in ability, whether it be physical, cognitive or mental, it is always at least one of them. We cannot keep her here, she is a threat to the other patients, but more importantly, to us."

The man seemed to not agree with this idea. "How dare you suggest that we remove her from the operation? She could be the one to put a stop to all of this; win the war against the dead and the living, so life can return to how it was before. And you want to remove her? I don't think I've heard such drivel in my life, I might even have the right mind to remove you from this operation inst-"

Before he could reach the final syllable, a sound appeared from down the corridor, and both of the men froze. The emergence of the noise startled both parties, calling their entire attention to the slither of light that escaped onto the floor, creating an illuminated shape in the darkness.

A door had been opened much further down the corridor, and something in the almost pitch black could be barely seen scuffling around. Michael reached for his gun, his fingers dancing over the handle and trigger. He called out, "Who's down there? Show yourself!"

There was no answer from the silhouette – no noise came from the end of the corridor. The men both gulped and shared frightened glances.

Nothing could be seen from so far away, and while the men really did not want to venture into the darkness, they realised they may have to. But then, something shocking.

Through the air came something flying – something unseen until out of the dark shadows and into the light, landing directly in front of both of the men. It splattered onto the floor, eliciting an excruciating scream from both individuals. 

The severed arm looked fresh, cleanly cut and almost definitely from a large individual with white skin.

Michael vomited his dinner onto the floor to his left. He held his chest and stomach, feeling the bile rise to his throat and burn on route. He glanced over to the end of the corridor, and then over to the man.

He was staring so intently into the darkness, before calling out. "Show yourself, or I begin shooting, and don't stop until I my gun is empty." He bellowed; his voice clearly laced with fright while desperately trying to hide it.