twenty two: praedatum

{praedatum - the adjective for a predator that naturally preys on others.}

newt's pov:

I struggled to locate y/n the next morning, but eventually found her talking with Minho, Thomas and Gally around the breakfast table. A large spread of toast, fruit and eggs sat patiently on the trays before them, completely untouched.

I approached the table. "If you lot aren't hungry, I might have to take the eggs you haven't eaten."

They were clearly deep in conversation, and while I felt slightly rude to interrupt it, I felt the need to know what they were talking about.

Also, I was hungry.

They suddenly jolted out of their conversation, as all four of them shot their heads up, and simultaneously met my eyes. Every pair seemed overjoyed to see me – even y/n.

Thomas jumped up from his seat unexpectedly. "Newt! It's great to see you. Eat with us!"

I noticed y/n move over on the bench to make space, and I wasn't going to ignore the opportunity. I smiled at Tom, glad to be sitting with them all. "You all seem very chipper, have I missed something?"

The others smile around me, chuckling. "No, nothing exciting ever happens here." Gally laughed, taking a sip of water from the glass in front of him.

I nodded with his statement, laughing on with the others as if I understood the joke.

Thomas took a large bite into his toast and butter. "Oh, actually, Newt..." He took another bite, "Vince wanted me to ask you if you were interested in joining him on a routine hunt this afternoon. I told him I was sure you'd be up for it but that I'd double check with-"

I had been dying to join them all on runs for weeks now. "Yes! Of course, I'd be honoured to go. Why now does he want me there? He was adamant only a few days ago to keep me in training before I go out on the hunt." I asked, watching as the others' expressions slowly morph, and they eventually stopped laughing.

Y/n cleared her throat, signalling to me that she was uncomfortable. "That's sort of the thing, Newt. You won't be going with any of us, just the new trainees and Vince."

I stopped short. "What? None of the main group is going?" I turned to look at y/n, "You're not going?"

She slanted her head slightly to look at me. "Sorry, I wasn't invited on this one." She said, smiling gently at me as she placed a sliced strawberry into her mouth.

I stared at the strawberry, jealously.

"Really? Vince specifically didn't invite you? Why?" I asked, watching closely again as she dipped her sliced toast into the yolk of her egg and took a bite.

She shrugged and looked down at her plate. "Vince said he wanted to do his own self-assessment with their progress and gave me the night off instead. I'm not going to protest to that." Y/n said, smiling and laughing with the others.

I nodded, smiling back at them all. "Well, I'm sad the rest of you aren't going but I'm still excited to go beyond the walls. I haven't been out there in weeks." I explained, moving fruit onto my plate along with some bread and butter.

Minho looked over at me. "How long were you out there for, Newt?"

I swallowed my mouthful of grapes to answer the man's question. "I don't know how long I was out there before I was rescued initially, but once I decided to escape the compound I was living in, I think I was alone out there for only a couple of days before they found me again."