thirty seven: angustia

{angustia - severe mental or physical pain or suffering.}

newt's pov:

Keeping my back to the wall, and my gun drawn, I advanced forward and turned into one of the final rooms we had been scoping out.

"Clear." I exclaimed, holstering my weapon and peering around the edges of the room.

Y/n came in immediately behind me, excited and chuckling. "This place is cool as fuck, have you seen this?" She asks, holding up an enormously large and dangerous weapon in her hand.

She beams at me. "A fucking flail. A flail! These things are awesome, Newt. I can wipe out four of those Wicked bastards in one swing." She says, swinging a long handled stick with a large metal spiked ball dangling on the end.

I laughed gently. "That's not what we came here for, y/n."

She was not remotely phased by my comment, and instead held up the weapon for her to admire. "Mhm, I'm still bringing it home with me though."

I turned to her, distracted from my searching. "What are you going to use that thing for?"

She seemed surprised at me. "Enemies."

Rolling my eyes sarcastically at her, I turn back to the matter at hand. I foraged through the cupboards and drawers, the cabinets on the wall and the trunk in the corner looking for anything we could use in camp.

Lincoln had stressed to me before leaving for the hunt how important it was for us to get medicine for Vince and Brenda.

Y/n stays put, watching me from afar. "Found anything?"

I sighed, lifting my head from the trunk. "No. I think anything of use to us was ransacked from here a long time ago."

She nodded and I stood to face her. "Have you found anything?"

"Besides this," She says, as she holds up the weapon in her hands, "Some bandages, some canned goods and a broken thermometer. The others have found some other stuff too, though."

Nodding, I moved closer towards the door. "We should clear the rest of the rooms and head out; I don't want us staying in here for too long."

Y/n agreed and smiled. "You're right." She turned suddenly, right before heading out of the room. "You're cute when you take charge, by the way." She says, before moving out of the doorway and away from me, resting the flail's long handle on her shoulder.

I followed eagerly behind her as we wandered down a long and cold corridor. "Is that so?" I replied, smirking.

She smiled as she walked, refusing to meet my eye. "That might be so."

I laughed, walking along with her. "I was not expecting you to admit that but now that you have I will bring it up every single day for the rest of our lives."

Y/n feigned ignorance. "I don't even know what you're talking about."

We laughed as we walked, and as she gently bashed into me, I reached down for her fingers to entangle them with mine.

Y/n didn't hesitate to do the same, and held my hand tightly in hers as we continued to aimlessly wander around an old factory building.

"I've always known you've thought that, I'm just surprised you finally admitted it." I replied, and she laughed while feigning offence.

"I've always said you were handsome, blondie. Don't act like you don't know it too." Y/n said, smirking at me with the smile I had missed for so long.

I beamed at her, smirking also. "Are you flirting with me?"