twenty six: hecatombe

{hecatombe - (in ancient Greece or Rome) a great public sacrifice, originally of a hundred.}

y/n's pov:

"I think you did the right thing there - people shouldn't be going outside anymore, it's too dangerous." Brenda said softly, quietly so she didn't wake the sleeping Vince who snored into unconsciousness on the bed opposite.

Vince has slept through most of the days he's spent in the infirmary; he eats in the morning, and then naps until dinner.

I can't believe I didn't see it sooner, the sickness taking over. I look back now and realise how obvious it was, and how naive I am for not noticing. For not wanting to even think about it.

"We need people out there; scavenging, hunting, foraging. I'll keep people away from the outside for as long as I can, but eventually we'll need to start sending groups out again. There's too many people here, too many mouths to feed. We need the resources." I replied, keeping my voice low.

I poured more hot chocolate into the girl's mug, watching as she smiled, pulling the cup to her lips and taking a small sip.

"I know, I'm sorry I can't be there with you when you do. I would normally want to help you guys look, help you fight, but you know I can't anymore. Not for a while, at least." She said, and while I wondered if that thought might have made her sad, she didn't appear so. She seemed excited, happy to explore the future ahead.

"That's okay, B. I know, I wouldn't want you in that madness anyway. I said to Thomas that when the baby's on the way he won't be going out there anymore either, for his safety, but mostly for you and the child."

Brenda laughed into her drink. "I appreciate that; it's terrifying when he goes out there, especially when I'm not with him." She explained, chuckling gently.

I looked over at her, "Have you two made a plan for when the baby comes?" I asked, as Brenda rested her mug on her stomach, as I poured more of the runny chocolate water into my cup and placed it on the table.

She smiled, "I think Thomas is hoping for a job in the infirmary once the baby comes; 'said he wants to learn everything there is to know about the medical world for our kid. He wants to make sure he can help them in any situation thrown at him - I think he's petrified of losing the baby before it's even born, to be honest."

I took a sip of my drink, nodding. "Makes sense, we've all lost people. I'd be frightened, too."

Brenda looked at me with a smirk. "I would have never thought you of all people could get frightened." She said, chuckling to herself.

I laughed slightly, too. "I was frightened that time I thought Newt was going to die. And then he did, and the feeling never really went away again after that."

Brenda's expression had changed, and then I realised that the atmosphere had shifted, and all of a sudden I was back in that moment, erupting with grief all over again.

Bren tried desperately to apologise; to make the conversation lighter. "I'm sorry you had to see that - all of it. We couldn't- I didn't... Thomas thought it was him. He thought he was the reason, and was frightened that he had then, by doing so, lost his two closest friends." She said, her expression saddening further.

"I've always wondered if that was the reason we got together, because he lost you both, and didn't have anyone else to turn to."

I didn't want to watch her cry - I knew I couldn't.

"Bren, he fell for you because you were kind, and brave, and warm. He realised it didn't need to all be bad, because you make it better. And you've done that again, with the baby." I said, scrambling to find words I thought she'd appreciate, that would uproot the frown that took shelter on her face.