CALM BEFORE THE STORM

Knowing Jasper would be ok made everyone relax especially Octavia, seeing Octavia relax made me relax.

Once Jasper had fallen asleep we headed out of the drop ship and to our tents.

"Get some sleep, you deserve it." I told her as I laid in my bed and flicked my boots off with my feet. "You deserve it too. We all do." I nodded at her words and we both fell asleep rather quickly.

I woke up incredibly thirsty, I looked over to Octavia and saw she was still asleep I smiled and put my boots on.

I walked over to our water supply spot and took a few sips of water before looking up at the sky, the sun was rising indicating it was 7 Am or around there. I sighed looking at the beautiful pink and yellow painting the sky.

I was torn from looking at the beautiful sky as I heard someone try to be stealthy but failing miserably, Charlotte. The little girl with nightmares. "When sneaking around it's better to look like you know what you're doing so people like me don't come up and question what you're doing." I said making her jump.

"Sorry I scared you." I smiled sadly at her "You sound like Bellamy." She rolled her eyes. I liked her she had nerve. "Or maybe Bellamy sounds like me." I told her she laughed at me.

"So where ya sneaking off too." She looked at me for a minute and sighed "Bellamy said I needed to slay my demons to get rid of my nightmares." I nodded at her to continue.

"I'm going to slay my demon." She said looking at the ground "What does that look like to you?" I asked trying to understand how she would slay her demons. But before she could answer Murphy came over.

"Hey, in about an hour we are going to start building the wall some More. You planning on helping or what?" "No I'm helping more hands you got the faster this wall gets put up." Murphy nodded and walked back into his tent.

When I turned back around Charlotte was gone. I sighed and ran my hand through my hair.

                ...........................................

I had been working on the wall for about 20 minutes give or take when Bellamy ran up to me looking scared, "Don't go outside of camp, ok?" I looked at him confused "I wasn't going too but now that you said something-" "No, you and Octavia do not go outside the walls. Not today." "Fine, but tell me why." Bellamy looked around before pulling me off to the side. "Wells was found dead this morning."

I wanted to gasp and ask him more but knew better, my eyes widened and I looked at him before nodding "Yeah I'm definitely not going out of camp today." Bellamy nodded before running off to his leadership duties.

I got back to work with Charlotte hearing Murphy shout. "This section should be finished by tomorrow. Hey! You think the Grounders are just gonna sit around, and wait for us to finish the wall? Maybe we should let the little girl do the lifting for you, huh?" Murphy was screaming at a kid named Connor who had fallen down holding a log "I just need some water, okay? Then I'll be fine." Connor pleaded.

"Murphy, I know we need the wall built. But that can't happen if we have people working while dehydrated they'll pass out and then the wall won't get done." I voiced my opinion Bellamy from a far was watching and stepped forward. "Murphy, get this guy some water."

Murphy huffed but turned around to get Connor water. Bellamy looked at Charlotte and I "You got this?" He asked nodding towards the log Connor dropped Charlotte and I went to go pick up the log.

Bellamy ran over quickly and gently pushed me out of the way "I was kidding." He smiled to Charlotte and I and picked up the log with ease and carried it with one shoulder.

I walked further and helped some other kids hold planks of wood so they could tie other planks to it to create a big wooden structure that would be a piece of the wall, "Uhh! What the hell is wrong with you, Murphy?" I looked up to see Connor yelling at Murphy who was sipping up his pants, he had urinated on Connor.

"Look at you! You wanted a water break. Get back to work." Murphy said casually but yelled the last bit to all of us who watched. Connor stood up and shrugged his jacket off and threw it on the ground and went back to work.

I walked up to Murphy angrily it's one thing to verbally be a jerk but it's another thing to urinate on someone! "Hey! You know it would help more if you actually got your hand dirty a bit instead of hovering over everyone and barking orders at us."

Murphy turned around to me "Back off Rachel, I'm second in command Bellamy is busy doing something so my job is too make sure everyone does their job, and right now that is to build the wall. Which I suggest you get back too." He said getting closer and closer to me with every word I was about to say something back but was pulled away by Octavia.

"You're going to want to be here for this." Is all she muttered before she led me to a tent that had Clarke, Jasper, and Bellamy in.

I looked at the table in front of everyone and saw two fingers and a knife. Wells's fingers. Clarke picked up the knife and inspected it before clearing her throat "This knife was made of metal from the dropship." Jasper stood up a new found look of fear evident on his face.

"What do you mean?" He asked but Clarke ignored him "Who else knows about this?" She looked to Octavia for an answer "No one. We brought it straight here." Octavia said confidently.

Jasper didn't like being ignored so he spoke up once more "Clarke?" She looked at Jasper then to the rest of us before gravely speaking up "It means the Grounders didn't kill Wells. It was one of us."

"So, there's a murderer in the camp?" Jasper whispered obviously scared. "There's more than one murderer in this camp. This isn't news. We need to keep it quiet." Bellamy spoke up for the first time since I entered the tent.

Clarke dropped her hands to her side with the knife in her hand a look of determination on her face Bellamy stepped up blocking her from leaving the tent. "Get out of my way, Bellamy." She said trying to shove him.   

"Clarke, be smart about this. Look at what we've achieved... the wall, the patrols. Like it or not, thinking the Grounders killed Wells is good for us." Bellamy stated calmly Clarke scoffed at his words "Oh, good for you, you mean. What... keep people afraid and they'll work for you? Is that it?"

"Yeah. That's it. But it's good for all of us. Fear of the Grounders is building that wall. And besides, what are you gonna do... just walk out there and ask the killer to step forward? You don't even know whose knife that is." Bellamy said determined to get her to listen but she did not.

"Oh, really? J.M. John Murphy. The people have a right to know." Clarke said before heading to leave "Clarke! Look I know Wells was your friend. And yeah Murphy is an ass but he isn't that stupid to leave his knife at the scene of the crime. And besides if he killed Wells he would be gloating about it. He isn't." I said stepping up to Clarke who eyed me for a bit before storming out of the tent.