Chapter 9

3 days had passed and they had finally reached land and were standing at the edge of the fold. The Darkling standing in front of everyone, closest to the fold, an expressionless mask adorning his scarred face. The twins were holding hands, identical looks of curiosity, awe and fear present on their faces, they were standing to the right of their father, about two steps behind him. Originally the three of them were in line with each other, but the twins had taken a few steps back once they had laid their eyes on the monstrosity that is the Unsea.

Behind them were the rest of the Darkling's loyal grisha, also present, however not as visible in the background, there was a hunched figure, a heavy shawl draped over them, as if hiding and cowering from everyone else around them. The twins did not notice this person, nor the absence of their favorite Tailor.

Before them, lay a small skiff, it was big enough to fit everyone it needed to fit, but nowhere near as big as the skiffs used by the army, it was also small enough that Aelia's light should be able to surround it, as well as last the entire journey through the fold.

The Darkling had already informed the squallers they were to make the skiff go as fast as possible, even though he would be amplifying Aelia, she was still very young and would not be able to hold the light that long, he only needed her to be able to hold up her light long enough for them to get to the fold. 

Although he has been training her for the conditions of the fold, her nerves would still be present and would work in unison with the screeches of the Volcra. The volcra may either push her to work harder simply to get out, or may scare her and cause her to extinguish the light, which would not result well. The Darkling instructed everyone to get on the skiff, and signaled to the squallers to start moving them into the fold.

The twins clung to their father as the skiff started moving, he had not yet placed his hand on Aelia to amplify her, and had not instructed her to summon yet.

It was about two minutes in when the noises started. Many unpleasant sounds could be heard in the distance; screeching, the leathery flap of wings, snarling. It was not pleasant and frankly quite terrifying, the twins were practically shaking from their fear. Only when the sounds got closer did The Darkling give the command. "Summon the sun."

And so Aelia did, she summoned an orb almost large enough to cover one third of the skiff, but it was not enough. It was no where near enough. The light that was summoned however, caught the eyes of the monsters, the sounds were getting alarmingly louder. That's when he gave his second command. "More Aelia, push it out farther."

And so she followed. Again. But it only did so much, even as she pushed it out farther it wasn't even enough to cover half of the skiff, but the Darkling could see she was straining herself already, she could not go farther than this without assistance. Just as a volcra was about to come within a 5 meter radius from the outer edge of the skiff, The Darkling place his hand on his daughter's arm.

Suddenly the light expanded out much further, it burned brighter as well, still, it only reached to the very outer edge of the skiff, but it was enough. It would get them through.

The bright light however attracted the Volcra, and now, the twins could properly see the source of the dreadful sound. Before them, were monsters, rows and rows of razor-sharp teeth, long dirty claws, brown leathery wings. There was one who flew into the light, it made a sizzling sound, not very different to that of placing food into a hot pan. When it retreated, it was visible how they bled black. The sight was horrifying, especially to the three year old's on board the skiff.

Upon seeing that sight, Aelia lost focus, the light beginning to falter and shrink back, this drove the volcra closer towards them causing the light to shrink back even more, until it was not even present.