↳ chapter twelve

↳ TELEVISION
" what about me? "

evi was situated on a couch in the living room area. despite her and clints talk in which they became kind of civil with each other, she was still determined to leave. she had to get to her siblings.

she waited until 3 am to make sure that no one was awake. she stood up from the couch and grabbed her jacket, while she adjusted her tights under the black dress she was wearing. pietro had stolen two of similar looking dresses for wanda and her to wear.

she tried to make no sound while she opened the door and stepped on the porch. before she could leave, she had to lose the gloves that stopped her powers.

she made her way towards the shed in hope to find anything to cut them off, without hurting herself.

it took her two hours to get off the left one. while she went on with the other one, she heard footsteps approaching.

"shit shit shit" evi cursed while hiding behind the tractor.

the door opened and she could hear steve's voice calling. "evi?! i know you're in here"

steve rounded the tractor and stopped to kneel in front of the girl. "what in the hell are you doing?"

he seemed angry and somehow evi sunk down even further. it felt like she had just disappointed a parental figure.

"i-i" she stuttered.

"you what?!" steve took both her arms in his hands and brought her up with him. suddenly evi realised in which situation she was. one of her hands was free.

"don't touch me" she said. she made steve lose his grip on her while purple dust emitted from her hand.

"woah" steve's eyes fell down on her hand. "you were trying to get away, weren't you?" he asked

"i wasn't trying, i am getting away. you can't stop me"

steve's brows furrowed. he almost looked hurt at what she said. "evi"
his voice was soft and he did sound hurt.

"i have to do this" she tried to reason.

"no you don't" steve looked at the gloved hand. "I'll help you take it off, you don't have to wear them anymore. but please stay. at least until we have something figured out and can return you safely. and if it doesn't work for you, you can still leave. what do you say?"

evi sighed but couldn't say no to the pleading look of the captain. the only one that was nice to her here. he seemed to be concerned for her safety. except for her siblings, no one had been that in a long time.

"okay" evi gave in. "but if it gets too much i'll leave immediately"

"sure" steve laughed and brought her over to the workbench again. he took the same knife she had used and began to cut the glove. with him it was going much faster, due to his super strength.

he cut a thread a little to strong. suddenly blood erupted from his hand.

evis eyes grew wide. she took his hand to gain a closer look at the wound. "steve, I'm so sorry"

"it's not your fault" steve said while he tried to hide the hurt in his voice.

before evi could start on another apology, the veins on her arm turned black and steve's posture relaxed again. as fast as her veins had turned black, as fast they were back to normal again.

"what just happened?" evi took her hand from steve's to inspect it further. "did i hurt you?" she asked

steve shook his head, "the contrary. i think you took my pain."

"what i don't - i couldn't-"

"you couldn't do this before, right?" steve asked. he took a towel from off the workbench, to bandage his wound a little.

evi shook her head. she was still astonished by her new found powers. she rolled her eyes when she saw the dirty towel steve had used to wrap his wound with.

"it will become infected like this. it's dirty, ew" she said. steve had to laugh at her accent that became even more prominent when she was angry or disgusted.

she pointed her finger at the towel and suddenly steve's hand was wrapped with a clean bandage instead.

"thank you" steve nodded gratefully. "let's go back into the house. stark will wonder what took us so long"

"stark?" evi asked, confused that he was awake at that time.

"oh, he had an alarm installed on the gloves, in case you tried something exactly like what you just did"

"why did you come?" evi looked up at steve in question while they walked back to the house.

"because if you were really going to go, i wanted to say goodbye" steve looked down ashamed. "i know it's dumb"

"it's not dumb, steve. when i tried to leave i was only sorry because i couldn't tell you why before"

steve smiled at her. soon a pleasant silence emitted between them. despite evis wish to leave, she couldn't help but feel like she had to stay. at least for steve.

he was a stranger, but she felt like they were connected. not romantically of course. but like a father and a daughter were. evi had forgotten how that felt a long time ago...

wise words from ELLIE !

I'm sorry for such a short chapter, I'll promise that the next one will definitely be longer again hihi

andddd i decided to publish the chapters day by day now, because I want to finish this story haha

-

.