↳ chapter thirteen

↳ WHAT A TIME
" what a lie, what a lie, what a lie "

the next day evi stood up really early. despite her being awake throughout the night she wasn't able to catch anymore sleep. the lingering question of her siblings safety keeping her up.

she walked into the kitchen, where laura barton was already running around and cleaning old dishes from the day before.

"oh good morning" she greeted when her eyes landed on evis form.

"good morning, mrs barton" evi walked next to the woman and looked at the filled sink. "can i help you?"

"first of all, you can call me laura, sweetie and second you don't have to help me. you're our guest"

"I'd like to help" laura tilted her head and smiled at the girl, before she turned around and grabbed a towel that she gave to evi.

for a few minutes the both cleaned in silence. no one knowing how to break it.

"i like your name" laura complimented.

"thank you, it's sokovian"

"that's where you're from? sokovia, right?" laura handed a few spoons to evi

"yeah. it's a beautiful country, but we were very poor. a lot of people were, actually" evi explained. "that's why i like your house so much, i always dreamed to live on a farm when i was a child. i wanted to live in a beautiful big house, just like yours"

"that sounds lovely. we all love it here too. especially clint. he can use the opportunity to get away from all that crime fighting"

"i understand that" evi answered. "i also wanted to thank you. mr barton has probably mentioned it to you, but i heard you talk yesterday. so i just wanted to say thank you. the things you said about my family and me were really nice even though you don't know us. i appreciated it"

"you don't have to thank me. i didn't say it because I was trying to be nice, but because it was my honest opinion. when you walked into our home, you seemed so young and scared and fragil, i know you're not, but you don't look like something has corrupted you entirely. and what clint said about your family, was wrong. he told me he corrected it, i hope that's true, because steve told me it hurt you a lot"

"thank you for trusting me nonetheless" evi smiled. "and yes it did hurt me what he said, but he apologised."

laura nodded and turned away towards the sink again. silence fell over them, before evi started to talk again.

"i was named after my mother. her name was iryna. it's not the same but my parents intended it to be a variant of iryna. my mother was the best woman i have ever met. you remind me a lot of her, atleast from what i could gather."

"oh sweetie. what a beautiful compliment. your mother would be proud to see how you've grown into a beautiful and smart woman." laura dried her hands and patted evis head.

"i don't think so" evi looked down in sadness. "if my mother could see me right now, she'd be ashamed"

"evina, what do you mean?" laura led the girl towards the kitchen table and turned around to the boiler to set off hot water for tea.

"she would never approve of our plans to get revenge. she would be angry if she could see how we risked our lives to get these" evi gestured in the air and a purple streak appeared that followed her hands movement.

laura watched the girl in awe, while she poured the water into two cups and put the tea bags into them. she sat down besides evi and put one of the mugs in front of her.

evi nodded in appreciation, before she continued her explanation. "I'm nothing without this" she sipped from the tea. "could I take some sugar?"

laura nodded and went to stand up, but before she could, the sugar and a spoon came flying towards evi and started adding themselves into her cup.

"you see?" evi gestures to the sugar that flew back in its original place.

"that's very impressive" laura mused. "I've never seen something like this happen right before my eyes"

laura laid her hand on evis back. "I understand what you mean. you think your mother is ashamed because you did what you did for wrong reasons, which are revenge. if you say that I seem a lot like your mother, then let me tell you this: for acknowledging all  this you seem grown and mature. if I would be your mother I wouldn't want you to risk your life to revenge my death, but it is your life and even if for wrong reasons, you do what you believe in and that shows what a strong, independent woman you are. you fight for your opinions and stand for your actions. I admire that skill. sure as I said there might be things, you do which your parents wouldn't want you to, but next to that, they could never not see what a mature woman you've grown into. And that's just my personal opinion as an out-stander, if I think so highly of you without actually knowing you, just imagine how proud your parents must be."

tears had started to well in evis eyes, as she admired laura barton during her short speech. just when laura finished, evi had thrown her arms around the woman.

"oh" laura said, surprised by the sudden action, but hugged the girl nonetheless. "thank you" evi cried into the older woman's shoulder. "its no problem sweetheart"

"ah, you're still here" tony stark walked into the kitchen, barton behind him. "i would be careful with her" he said to laura. "she could try to harm you"

laura had released herself out of the hug and rose to her feet. "mr stark!" "tony!" both she and steve scolded simultaneously.

stark raised his hands, but kept quiet. nonetheless he wore a look on his face that more or less said 'if something goes wrong with her i told you'

evi rolled her eyes while stark watched her as he sat down for breakfast. she raised her hand and with some purple smoke the spoon in her tea started to stirr. while doing that she looked directly at stark and smiled. for the first time since she had met him, he did seem kind of scared, his eyes left her only mere seconds after and never found her form again for the rest of the day.

-