Chapter 1

"You gave me forever"

A small smile graced her face, one that was thanking him for breaking his promises, she took his hand and held it gently.

"You deserve forever"

His reply made her smile, she glanced down to their entwined hands, her eyes glowing up at him with a new brightness he hadn't seen in a long time.

"How does it feel being back here?"

"Back at work?"

She raises an eyebrow and Fletch smiles at her, he nods and she hums thoughtfully before removing herself from her desk and heading to the door. Her body pauses and Fletch looks at her.

"Is something bothering you?"

"Nothing, not really. I'm just happy to see you happy"

Her heart warmed at his admission, she closed her eyes and then offered a small smile before  walking over to him, she wraps her arms around his middle and he was taken aback by her affection so he gently does the same, securing his arms firmly around her.

"Thank you"

"You don't need to thank me, you being alive and in this world is more than that"

"Do you want to go for a drink tonight?"

She pulled away as she said it, he looked at her searching for a hint of sarcasm but there was nothing so he took her hand and held it before smiling at her and nodding. She smiles back at him and then drops her gaze before scuttling out of the room leaving Fletch there in a dazed trance

"Everything ok?"

It was Nicky's voice that brought him out of his longing gaze at the door, he smiled at her and nodded,

"Never better"

-CS-

"So what time are we meeting?"

Her eyes peered up at him as he asked the question, she sensed the excitement in him and that was something that was unnerving. She frowned slightly and looked at the clock, the workday was almost over so the immediate suggestion of after work came to her head.

"After work?"

"What time do you finish?"

"I'm almost done for the day, I just need to get changed and then I'm ready to go"

She confirms this with a nod of her head, Fletch copies her giving her a sense of undesired awkwardness wondering whether this was a good idea so soon after everything. Sliding her chair out from under the desk, she grabs her phone and her bottle of water before smiling at Fletch once more.

"Just wait for me in my office, I'll be done in a quarter of an hour"

He nods watching her head to the locker room. He turns to see Nicky there with a raised eyebrow at the unexpected observation of her boss. Fletch just dropped his gaze and scurried off leaving Nicky standing there in somewhat disbelief at what just happened

-CS-

"Are you ready then?"

Her smile was bright, it startled him but he forced out a nod causing a soft frown to brace her face.

"You seem nervous"

Her observation sparked a fear inside of him, he didn't want this to end before it began. He shook his head with a sense or adamance and she gave a perplexed look at his ongoing silence.