Chapter 1: Aspen

"Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push."

Once upon a time a long long time ago....

Okay, not really that long ago...

In a far far away Kingdom called Aurora Village...

It only looks so far away because all the smoke from the chimneys that clouds the skies above.

Lived an eighteen-year-old girl human girl or so she thought named Aspen. She needed a job for college next year. So, she decided to apply for the only job available that she would honestly qualify for.

Who is Aspen?

She is me and I am her. What is the only job I could qualify for?

Babysitting the King and Queen's four youngest Tribrid children.

You see supernatural creatures live in the open with us humans. The King's great grandfather somehow managed to make an alliance with us humans. No supernatural creature can harm us or they shall be punished. Meaning witches can't do hexes on us or turn us into warty toads because their leader has made that a law. The vampires can't feed on us or kill us because their leader has also made it a law. They have to go to the blood banks. Ones that us humans and the supernatural kind have set up for them for blood. Or they must drink from animals. Werewolves can't hunt us down like prey because their King has made it a law. Our human king has made the law, us humans can't kill any supernatural creature. If any one of us species does anything to harm a different kind, we are to be punished accordingly by all four leaders not just our own leader. So, we live in harmony with one another. Which is why I didn't mind if it was the Royal Highnesses children I would be watching...

If I get this job....

I look at the time and realize I need to start getting ready. I may not be the girliest girl out there, but this girl still needs to look her best. Once I have dried off from being in the shower. I wrap my hair up in my towel and walk out into my room to search for some appropriate clothing. Digging through my jumbled mess, I decide on a black romper with yellow sunflowers on it. I pair the romper with a yellow cardigan and my yellow vans. For my hair, well my hair is naturally a wine-red curly mess. I toss my crazy hair up into a messy but yet elegant bun and left a few curly pieces framing my face. I decide on light make-up which consist of tinted moisturizer, fill in my brows, and pop on some mascara. Like I said, I am not exactly the girliest girl. I like my freckles on my nose to peek through and show. It gets hot here so minimal make-up means less touch ups and no messes. It's definitely not a high maintenance look but it's not a bum-ish look either. I walk to the mirror to check my reflection, I run my hands down the front of my romper.

It's the best I can do.

You're probably wondering why I haven't mentioned my parents. My mom left right after I was born and four years ago my dad died. He left me enough money to finish paying off our home, get a car, his burial, and enough to live on until I become eighteen. I hadn't had a parental figure so to speak since I was fourteen. My aunt lived here up until I was seventeen than took off again saying I quote, "You're practically an adult now so you don't need me around. I'm off to travel the world. Love you toots." And with that she kissed my forehead and took off. My aunt, lets just say, she is a free and wild spirit. She can never be in one place for long. I glance at my clock again and notice the time. Quickly, I grab my bag and car keys.

Great, just my luck. I'll have a red mark on my forehead from where I face planted my door.

You're probably thinking 'why would a human girl want to work for supernatural creatures?' The answer is simple. I need this job to pay for my schooling. I want to go to a supernatural medicinal school that allows us humans to attend. I want to learn how their bodies work, how they heal, how to do surgeries if needed, and how to treat their sicknesses and injuries. This school teaches you all about these creatures and it truly intrigued my mind. Only problem is, I don't have the exact money I need to even start. I don't even have a quarter of it. Like I said earlier, most of the money from dad went to this house, his funeral, everyday expenses, and my car. The school costs for the 2 years it takes is fifty thousand dollars. I have twenty thousand already; so now you see why I must get this job babysitting the Royal Family's children.

I walk towards my dad's car. Again, you're probably thinking, "didn't she just say a new car?" Simply put, I never went to buy me a new car, I just restored my dad's car instead. It is an old 70's model Ford Mustang. I named her Spirit since she's white and her interior is black. She just has this fighting spirit about her. I have to drive twenty minutes down the road to the countryside to get to the Royal Family's castle upon the hilltop.

Our village is actually named after the King's great great grandmother Aurora. Funny thing is the King is the ruler of the Vampires Clans and Werewolves Packs. He is a hybrid which would make sense. The Queen is full blooded witch so she's the ruler over the witch covens. Which also makes a lot of sense, well to me it does.

I make it to the castle thirty minutes early, so I am currently seated in the living room. I'm starting to get a little nervous because I have now watched several ladies come running out the office and four of them literally ran out screaming and crying. I don't know if they're being over dramatic or what. However, their behavior is making my stomach turn into knots.

We ain't butter churning that's for sure Aspen!

The door to the office opens and the King's Beta walks out. The Beta is a hybrid like the King but he's a werewolf and witch. I can tell because of his eyes. They shine a bright amethyst color meaning his witch is his strongest side.

"Aspen Brielle Gonzales." The Beta calls out.

"Shit." I whisper. I don't know why I even whispered. He can hear me. I'm snap back to reality when I hear a heartfelt laugh coming from the Beta's direction.

"It's not so bad." The unknown named Beta says after his small fit of laughter.

"How bad is not bad?" I mumble out.

"I think they'll love you miss. Good luck." He whispers next to me. We make it to the door and he opens it. I smell a lovely scent of the ocean. Which is weird since we're two hours away from the ocean.

"Miss Aspen." He says with a slight nod. I take a small bow to show my respect. I walk in and am greeted by the sight of the King, Queen, one of the four Princes that will be crowned King in due time, and the four children I could potentially be watching. My vans on the floor makes a small tapping sound. I watch as everyone turns around and looks at me. I stop dead in my tracks and lock eyes with the most beautiful amethyst gems.

He's part witch.

His witch gene is stronger.

He's eyes give it away.

The ocean scent has become mixed with peppermint as I get closer. The scent is the strongest as i stand directly in front of everyone within the room. I am stuck in a daze when I barely hear someone say....

"Mate."

Edited: 10/16/2024