Chapter 14

New's POV

For a while, all that existed in the world was a heart.

A heart that was being traced delicately over and over. Heart after heart was engraved into the sensitive skin of my tummy with soft fingers that caressed soothingly.

The rough but gentle pad of the finger was a stark contrast to my soft belly, making the experience feel like an anchor rather than an assault.

The next thing that registered was a flood of alpha pheromones – woodsy, fresh, and safe.

I slowly awoke, my eyelids fluttering open before closing again in the glaring light. I nuzzled deeper into my pillow as I mewled faintly. That's when I discovered why I was feeling so safe and protected.

Two arms were tightly wrapped around me, bringing me up into a hard chest and keeping me safely caged in. Two large hands were buried beneath my shirt, one with fingers splayed wide over my upper chest, just above my heartbeat. The other hand traced the hearts around my belly button with slow and meticulous strokes. Delicate lips were pressed into my hair, a knee nudged the backs of my calves, and a leg was securely thrown over my thigh, bare skin against bare skin.

So warm.

Every point of contact between us was infused with tenderness and comfort. It felt intense, reassuring, and secure. I've never felt so safe in my life.

As Tay let out a gentle sigh and fell back asleep, the movements ceased and my hand fell flat against my stomach.

I exhaled deeply, shifting back into the hug slowly and sighing blissfully, careful not to disturb the alpha. When the movement jostled Tay's head, he was inhaling into my neck, his breath warm against my throat, and I shuddered.

How did he get here?

My mind was drawn by the flecks of a memory.

~ flashback ~

"New, I called Tay," Krist whispered, running a soft hand over my fringe. In between waves of my drop, I blinked slowly at him, my thoughts still fuzzy.

Tay, clad in worn-out gray sweatpants and a college shirt, sat beside the bed, agitated and disheveled. I exhaled shakily as the surge of his familiar pheromones relieved some of the weight tightening on my chest.

"Hey, baby," Tay whispered. "Can I come into your nest?"

My omega whined at the thought, but I couldn't bring myself to open my mouth and agree, let alone nod my head. As he thumbed over my cheekbone, a gentle palm cupped my face, warm and calming.

"Baby, I don't want to get in if you don't give me permission. I know how sacred nests are, and yours is so beautiful. I'd never want to come in and disturb all your hard work." His voice was low and sweet, and there was a tinge of worry in it.

I tried everything I could, but I couldn't answer. I felt myself sinking once more as I watched Tay's eyes widen in horror, and the uncertainty vanished. His second hand reached up and cupped the other side of my face, tilting my head up and as it lolled back. Sleep entwined itself around my body and grabbed at it.

"Okay, kitten, I'm getting in because you're scaring me," he said softly, worrying as my started fluttering once again. "Don't give in, baby. Not yet." He spoke in his alpha voice, yet it was gentle and pleasant rather than aggressive. The command made my body slack.

As he crawled into my nest, Tay yanked his shirt off, leaving him in his sweatpants. He proceeded slowly, making sure not to destroy the walls of blankets and clothing I had constructed. Tay laid behind my back, tenderly moving his hands down my sides.