Fourteen

‘Next up is Hazel Jones.’ Emma said, as I was passed the microphone from Olivia, the girl who had performed before me on stage. I walked up to the stage, and I instantly felt more comfortable than usual. I wasn’t sure if it was because I was getting used to singing up on this stage, or the fact that everyone else was on the stage at the same time, but I felt so much more confident. 

'It's been, it's been, it's been, it's been
su su su such a long tome, long time, long lime
since anybody touched me, touched me, touched me
the way that you touch me
So if I stutter, stutter, stutter
then I feel so so so unsexy

so maybe I'll just keep my mouth shut at least until you kiss me'

Ricky's head was back in his chair, his eyes closed, and he looked happy. I looked at the other coaches, and they were all smiling. It was so strange to know that all of them were enjoying it. 

So kiss me again
cause only you can stop this st st st st stuttering
Kiss me again
and ease my su su su su su su su su su suffering

I know I know
it's so it's so sy sy sy sy sy symbolic of everything
Everything that's wrong with me and you
So tell me what I'm supposed to do
Oh it's been ages since we've been really honest
but I can make ch ch ch ch changes if you really want this

So kiss me again
cause only you can stop this st st st st stuttering
Kiss me again
and ease my su su su su su su su su su suffering

Kiss me again
cause only you can stop this st st st st stuttering
Kiss me again

and ease my su su su su su su su su su suffering'

People cheered, and Ricky, Rita and Tom were stood clapping. I felt so glad I had done it. I knew that it was quite a risky choice to pick that song, because it was hard to pull off, as you had to make it sound as if you were stuttering in places, and that meant that some parts were quite fast. But I managed it. 

The rest of the people performed, and I had no idea how I was going to compete against these. They were all amazing, I couldn’t believe people thought that I should be with them. I didn’t know how I was meant to get into Ricky’s three. 

Our whole team had finished, and now it was time for Ricky to choose. 

‘You were all amazing,’ Ricky said. ‘I can’t remember ever having a knockout that was so hard to pick, so I’m just going to go with my gut,’ 

People in the audience were yelling out names. Adam. Lexi. Olivia. Josh. And… my name? 

‘Right,’ Ricky said. ‘I’m not going to do these in any order, but the first person is Adam,’ 

I clapped, and gave Adam a hug. He deserved it. He really did.

‘Okay, person number two is…’ Ricky said. God, he knew how to wind people up with anticipation. ‘It’s Lexi,’ He said, and I almost screamed.

Lexi and Adam were through, and, god, I shipped them so much. 

‘Okay, my final person…’ Ricky said. ‘They are amazing, and they really deserve this…’ God, couldn’t he just get on with it? I wanted to get this over with, because with the people who were left, I probably wasn’t going to get through. ‘It’s…’ He said, knowing exactly how to build up the anticipation. ‘It’s Hazel,’ 

If I could just die in one moment, I did. I was so happy. I was through, with two more amazing people. Wow.

At the end of the show, I went to Ricky’s changing room to pick up my guitar. 

‘How come you are so much better on stage? I didn’t even think you could sound better.’ Ricky laughed.

‘Well, with Stuttering, nerves help. I’m not saying that all of those stutters were planned.’ I joked, walking over and picking up the guitar bad Ricky had thrown over one of the settees. 

‘Let me help,’ Ricky said. ‘I’m not that useless,’ He laughed, picking up the guitar, and helping me zip it into the bag.

I put the guitar bag on my back.

‘Want a lift home? Ricky asked. ‘I mean, those heels look deadly,’ He said, in a girly voice. Sometimes, he could be so strange. 

‘I’m fine,’ I answered. It was a twenty minute walk back to my flat from here at most. 

‘I’ll see you tomorrow then.’ Ricky said.

‘What?’ I asked. 

‘It’s moving day, you get your own flat. And yours is on the same floor as mine.'

‘Great.’ I said sarcastically.

I walked back to my flat. And the realisation suddenly came to me - I’m in the semi-finals. I would have to perform live.