Chapter 10

"If you're safe with the choices you make then you don't grow."

I don't know how long I have wandered outside. I do know I have ended walking to the Koi Pond and watch as they gracefully swim around. I wasn't in the mood to even try to notice my surroundings, nor the ocean mixed with a hint of rain smell until it became too late. I still have tears slowly falling down my face. As I begin mumbling to myself.

"Am I defective? Am I not supposed to be loved? Why does he hate me so much? Am I ugly? Should I change who I am? Why me? He should have a mate who's strong and isn't human. Fates are cruel."

I am startled when I feel the softest fabric being being wrapped around me. I notice the ring on the middle finger on the right hand and knew instantly it is Paxton.

He sits next to me and begins to answer all my mumbled questions.

"No, you aren't defective. Yes, you should be loved. We all love you here. He doesn't hate you. He hates the fact you're human. And love, you are strong. You just haven't realized it yet. Fates brought you here in our darkest times. Fates aren't that cruel. Give it time he'll come around."

Pax bops my nose and pulls me into a side hug. He gently kisses the top of my head which sends an explosion of fireworks into the pits of my stomach.

"Please don't leave me. Ever." I mumble to myself.

"I wouldn't ever plan on it. You're in my heart to stay forever." He whispers so low it sounded like the wind. He helps me up and wraps his hand on the outside of my burrito wrapped self and we walk towards the house.

Let my non healed heart break some more why don't we?

"Dinner is done and Aunt Aphrodite made Marissa leave. She also slapped the hell out of his head too." Pax says in my ear. We walk back to the house laughing and smiling. Paxton has managed to wipe all my tears away with his generous actions. All my sorrows were getting erased by his humbleness.

Why couldn't I have met him first? Why can't Dimitri be like these two? Are they even positive he even came from the same parents as the other two? He's completely polar opposite!

We had made it through the back door and into the dining room. The tables are set, and everyone is seated. When the children see my figure walk through the door, they bolt towards me. If it hadn't been for Paxton's arm still being around me, I would have hit the floor hard on my back. Paxton is an angel in disguise that is for sure. He just has this pure aura around him.

"Alright. Alright. Let her sit-down guys." Thanos says in a loving voice. Paxton leads me towards the empty seat in between Hendrix and Shiloh. When I sit down Shiloh takes my palm and uses her finger to write invisible letters on my palm.

I love you Brielle.

I love you too Shy Bug.

I write in her flatted palm.

This little angel smiles the brightest smile that could light up your darkest nights. Her smile makes my own heart swell. I truly do love these people with my whole heart. Even the evil donkey Dimitri. I might be their babysitter, but they all make me feel like family. Well all but one.

We begin to eat our grilled chicken and salad. When dinner is done, I help place all the children to bed after their showers. I tuck Tyson in his bed and give the gremlin a hug. I tuck Rowan in his bed, and he instead gives me a kiss on the cheek. I walk into Dovelin's room and read her a story until she is sound asleep. Shiloh is next. I walk quietly into her room and sit on her bed. She pulls the covers over us and I read her a story until she too has fallen asleep. I slip out her bed as carefully as I could without making a sound. Before I leave I make sure her monitor was on.

She has bad dreams and screams in the middle of the night. Most the time she comes to my room and crawls in my bed. She is on the second floor with her parents up the hall from her and I am on the third floor. She has to walk past four brothers rooms just to get to mine. She doesn't want anyone but me when she has these dreams. As a precaution and to make me feel better I had this monitor installed.

As quietly as I could, and tip toed to her door and gently close the door. As I creep up the stairs I am immediately slammed into a chest. I am praying it is Hendrix, Paxton, hell even a ghost. But luck wasn't on my side.

Dimitri...

He has Marissa and Lisa wrapped around his arms. I should get use to his behavior but still every time it leaves me a little more broken.

"Move it." He growled.

I slide against the wall to let the demon and his leeches pass by. However, they don't walk by, so I scoot beside the wall trying not to touch anyone. As I am going around them; Dimitri has a puzzled look on his face with concern in his eyes. Not giving him a second glance, I lower my eyes to the floor and continue my walking.

"She didn't have a snark remark." He whispered.

Im too exhausted for his shenanigans. I climb into my bed and drift off to sleep. I wake up to Shy crawling into bed with me. I throw my arm around her small body and pull the small girl close. The next morning I am woken up to soft quiet voices.

"She looks like an angel."

"She would make a great mother."

I can hear running in the hallway and followed by a frantic voice.

"Has anyone seen Shy? I can't find her! She isn't in her room!"

"Shhhh! You'll wake them!"

"Awee!"

"Found her!"

This get Shy to stir and wake up. I open my eyes to see her staring back at me.

"Good morning Shy Bug!" I whisper to her.

"Good morning, Brielle. Sorry you woke up to me in your bed again." Shy says louder than me.

I lift her off the bed and when I turn towards the door everyone is still looking shocked.

Even Dimitri!

"Morning!" I chirp.

"Shy here's my drawing pad you can go into my office and draw while I shower really quick." I say to her handing her my drawing pad. She take the drawing pad and smiles. She runs into my office and starts to hum. I walk into my closet to grab some clothes and when I get back everyone is still standing in my door way.

"Earth to you creepers! I have to shower." I jokingly say while closing the door. I walk into the bathroom to take my shower. Looking at the outfit I picked out.

What was I thinking?!

Edited: 1/28/24