Blending in

Hattie Diaz woke up at exactly 3pm the day before she starts her new high school. She is dreading it more than anything at the moment, but all she can think about right now is her home or what used to be her home back in England. She's very grateful for her cousin Fiona taking her in when she was at her lowest and loves her more than anything but ever since she moved in a couple of months ago, all she's felt was an eery emotion of numbness that she can't seem to shake. Once she got up hattie threw on an oversized hoodie with some blue basketball shorts. As she headed downstairs she could hear the voices of Fiona and her boyfriend, jimmy in the living room.

"Hey guys" hattie greeted.

"Hey kiddo , you slept in late" Fiona replied with a smile.

"Yeah just wanted to rest up before school tomorrow, I'm kinda nervous" hattie admitted slightly embarrassed.

"Once you've gotten through the first day , you won't even know why you were so worried" jimmy told hattie reassuringly.

"I hope so. Thanks jimmy" hattie smiled.

Hattie then headed into the downstairs bathroom and felt an overwhelming feeling of deja vú as she looked outside through the window. The weather had reminded her of spring in England. The sunshine glistened through the trees as the birds tweeted softly. The refreshing feeling of the air that has a cold crisp to it made her smile sadly.

__________________________________

•the next morning•

"Come on kiddo time for school."Fiona shook hattie awake, making her sigh heavily.

"Ok be down soon."

Hattie got dressed into a grey hoodie and her light blue carpenter jeans paired with her pink timberland boots her mum got her for her 14th birthday. They make her feel like she's close by somehow. As she made her way downstairs she could smell the eggs fi was frying whilst humming a tune. Hattie smiled gratefully as Fiona placed them onto a plate amongst two pieces of bacon.

"Thanks for breakfast, fi."

No problem kid, do you want me to drive you to school or would you prefer riding your bike?"

"Thanks for the offer but I'll ride my bike today , it gives me time to clear my head."

Fiona nodded understandingly.

"Ok hats ,love you."

"Love you too."

__________________________________

• arriving at school•

'Ok hattie you're gonna be fine just blend in and keep your head low , I can do this' hattie thought reassuringly.

After she tied up her bike and headed into McKinley high the bell rang indicating first period. She felt lost as a swarm of high school kids walked in the halls trying to get to class on time causing her to bump into a feisty Latina.

'So much for laying low' hattie thought.

"Watch where you're going newbie" Santana snapped.

"My bad."

"Hm whatever ... Where are you from?"

"England."

"Oh, what made you move to this shithole?" Santana asked bluntly.

Hattie giggled slightly "it's a long story."

Santana narrowed her eyes then smirked
"Hmm okay, I'm Santana Lopez."

"Hattie Diaz."

"Cool. See you around ,England."

"Yeah see you around."

Once hattie got her timetable and locker combo it was at least 30 minutes into first lesson. She looked at her first period and it said she has Spanish. She then headed into the room and immediately recognised Santana which made her smile internally.

"Uh can I help you?" Mr schue asked.

"Yeah I'm new."

"Oh Hattie right? I'm Mr Schuester."

Hattie nodded "Cool."

"Ok you can take a seat next to Quinn."

As she followed his sight line that's when she saw her as she glanced up looking at Hattie , she felt her heart skip a beat.

'She's beautiful, breathtakingly so'

"Hey" hattie greeted nervously.

"Hi" Quinn smiled softly.

'Wow her eyes are stunning' hattie thought
They were silent for the remainder of the lesson which wasn't long at all. Hattie got no work done as she was too busy admiring the beauty of Quinn.

The bell then rang and students rushed out the door one of them being Quinn who seemed to catch up with Santana. Knowing they were friends made sense to Hattie as they both wore their cheerleading outfits proudly.

Second period was PE and all they seemed to be doing was running around the pitch. 'Fuck that' Hattie thought. She then began to wonder around the halls feeling a sense of calmness for the first time in months. She couldn't quite figure out why though, it's not like she ever liked school, in fact, she hated her last school. She then started to follow the sound of beautiful singing and came across a choir room filled with students. Two of which she recognised straight away.

"Hi Hattie, shouldn't you be in class?" Mr schue asked skeptically.

"I heard singing"

"Oh yes Quinn was just performing to the group a potential song for invitationals ... we're glee club"

"Oh cool, hey guys"

"Are you interested in auditioning?" Mr schue asked

"Erm ... I don't know."

"Of c-c-course she wouldn't want to join a c-c-club of losers , we're a joke." An Asian girl, who seemed to be suffering with a stutter, sighed heavy whilst rolling her eyes.

"Honestly I don't give a shit what people think about me, especially if I had a breathtaking voice like that." Hattie explained whilst glancing towards Quinn who smiled adorably as she blushed and looked down feeling flattered.

"Anyways later losers" hattie curtsied jokingly as she left the room making Quinn , Santana, Matt and Mike become amused at the girls antics, leaving everyone feeling confused, especially Finn and Brittany. But they knew there was something different about this girl which felt extremely refreshing leaving them all wanting to know more. She was unique just like everyone in glee club.

'She's different ... a good different. And I'm left wanting to know more.' Quinn thought to herself in a dreamy daze.

This is my first time writing a story . Let me know what you guys think.
- Author <3