7. New York City

"I'll walk you home. Where you live?" Bruno asks after they had a walk in central park.

"Hey! I'm New Yorker. I can walk home by myself!"

"A young lady shall not travel alone at night" He says trying to sound like an English gentleman but in Marianne's opinion, it's more like a little dude trying to ask a very much older girl out.

"Where do you stay?" She asks back.

"A hotel nears the little ma'am, on the same street actually."

"I live at the little ma'am" She answers with a smile "Guess now we'd just walk back together."

"Thank you for today. It's been amazing, really" Bruno said finally they got to the little ma'am

"No thank you"

"Yes thank me, and thank you. It's been a great time. I feel like we were middle school friends, you know? Not like we were in the same middle but like we were in the middle and we were like 13, walking around the park, talking about big stuff we don't really understand like why people have to be racist and you don't understand 'cause I'm your best friend and I'm a nigga."

She laughs at his joke and says "You're not a nigga"

"That's rude ma'am" he jokes around and murmurs something like "Gosh, I didn't notice that the time flew by."

"Oh my gosh!" Marianne exclaims "Oh my god, what time is it now?"

"about 11" He answers "Why? You have curfew?"

"kind of" She receives a bright laugh for her answer. She rolls her eyes. "yeah funny. Go funny yourself at your place, funny ass"

"okay not-funny" He answers with a bright smile, showing of his deep dimples. "See you tomorrow, not-funny, and thanks again for your not funny time"

"Go away" she says, tryna be serious by turn to open the door but it's barely work with her laugh "And your welcome anytime, Mark"

Bruno walks hotel alone. It's on the same street as little ma'am, actually, it's just fifty paces away. He rethinks about the phase: Only silent is the only way to explain this grieves, and then he grabs his phone to call Phil but it turns out that there's Phil incoming call showing. He murmurs that he and Phil have to be soulmates before he pick up

"Hey, what's up" Phil says.

"How you think about the phase 'Only silent is the only way to explain this grieves' "

"cheesy" Phil answers without thinking

"Then how about 'your eyes make the stars look like they're not shining'"

"Gross" He answers without thinking again "Honestly, I have to excuse myself and go puke every time I hear this verse but it's a good song"

"see? We sing cheesy, Phil. Just think about it" He suggests "do you find something?"

"How about 'there're some good in this world and it worth fighting for'?"

"Seriously? Lord of the Rings?"

"then how about 'hey, Phillips, Do you know where's Bruno 'cause I've been calling him all evening but he doesn't answer. Where is him Phil?'" Phil says in fake women voice before get back to normal "Can you guess what that is from? And I've got another I thought it myself 'where're you dude, answer it before I lose my mind.'"

"gosh, I didn't hear her calling. My phone's on silent mode."

"Why is your phone on silent mode then?" Phil asks in carping voice.

"I've been out with a friend"

"people won't be in silent mode with friends" Phil observes.

"New friend" Bruno answer with lower voice "We had some activities"

"What kind of activity? That kind of activity?" Phil carp at him again

"No, wait? What do you mean that kind? We've been doing some social work" He answers and feels like it sound like a stupid defense

"Liar! Man, if that's what you want me to tell Jessica, you'll have to come up with a better excuse" His voice seems to be bored by his friend. Phil expected a little exciting rules breaking, or rebellion-as he calls it, from his friend. He has no problem with naughty stuff as long as he's a part of the plan.

"Just tell her that I'd been watching some Broadway Plays" he agreed with Phil to tell lie. The truth is too weird.

"Broadway? What? You're in New York?"

"aha, and I have to go, see you pal" he decides to cut up the line before Phil gets to knows more. This man knows how to delve a secret.

He got in his room and just wonders when will Jessica call when his phone rings and it's her "Hey,"

"Hey" She answers with soft and tired voice "You told me you would be home today."

"yeah, I changed the plan" He answers with faked cheerful voice "I decided to stay a little longer. They say this play is a must"

"It's good to know you're okay" She answers, trying to play sad and lonely but still sweet and nice girlfriend on him. "How long would you stay in New York?"

"I don't know" he answers, this time, honestly. "This city is interesting"

"I know, I was a New Yorker, remember?" she agrees and pause for a little while for her question "you'd like me to be there? I know the way around"

"I don't know, Jess" He says with doubted voice. "I kind of enjoy myself here. While I'm not there, you can do whatever you like, jess. Go shopping or spend girl's time with your friend."

"Ok, I'm glad you're happy. Just so you know, Bruno, I'm here if you need me and I'll be there, in case you need me there."

"I know, Jessica." And then comes a long pause which he hates because his girlfriend never not saying or asking and he dare not hung up. For some torturing seconds, she finally hangs up.

He never sees this side of her before, maybe she she's just tired of her day or maybe she really is angry. He shrugs his shoulder and grabs his phone to order some pairs of heels from random newest collection of the brand she fancy, deliver it home, just in case she really is angry. It always works, shoes, handbags and things. She'd forget it as soon as she got this stuff and feel his care all over the package.

Bruno works on the phase for a while, he doesn't think it's a good one but it's something and he haven't got anything for long time so, at least, New York wasn't a waste of time. He sends his work to Phil who doesn't response, not immediately, not an hour later. He thinks of calling him but Phil probably be with the kids, they surely like him but not when he talks about work and steals their father from his little vacation. He decides to let Phil go for a day or maybe two and have some rest.