27. Plans

Bruno wakes up when he smells something from the kitchen after he takes a long night (and a day) sleep. The day light is gone. He walks out of his room and founds Marianne at the kitchen.

"What time is it?" He asks

"8." She answers without looking away from the stove "in the evening. You've slept like 20 hours straight."

"Phil said he'd call at 9." He tells her "Can you wake me up sooner next time?"

"Yeah," she answers and puts something in the oven before she turns to look at him.

"yeah?"

"west coast 9 or our 9?" Marianne asks

"Oh!" he never thinks about it before

"9 - wast coast, midnight here" Marianne reminds him

"Oh!" he just realizes that too "I guess it's 9 of west coast"

She sighs for his answer "Why you guys work at night?"

"Because during the day, we were sleeping" He answers. "It's normal for us, believe me. It's just time zone that make it a little bit messy"

"Then why don't you just go back to work in L.A.?" she asks "I saw, your working here wasn't so convenient"

Bruno raises his eyebrows, isn't quit sure where the idea came from. "Why? You wan to go to L.A.?" He asks because he's happy here in New York and if they'd go back to L.A., the reason must be her.

"I don't." she answers "I mean, yes I'd love to visit L.A. someday but why it has something to do with me anyway?"

He gets the fact that 'it isn't'. He thought of them- he and Marianne- as one unit. He forgot that she doesn't have to go back with him. Waking up to see her everyday makes him forget that they're not even together and she doesn't even know he's crazy in love with her.

"I think it'd be easier for you and Phil if you go back and actually work with him" Marianne continues when Bruno doesn't answer her question.

"you're right" he agrees.

"Want me to book the ticket for you?"

"Yeah, and I want us to eat as soon as possible"

Marianne laughs and tells him to clean himself up and the food will be ready to 10 minutes.

After the meal, Bruno thinks they should have some walk so they go wandering around the central park to kill time.

"it looks natural but it's not, you know?" Marianne says out of nowhere.

"what?"

"the park." She answers and gives him a light smile. "You'll never understand what natural look like until you meet the Amazon."

"aha, I know what tropical forest looks like" He agrees. "Hot and wet. Back there at home"

"It's not exactly the same but isn't it great to just look around and think that one day you'll be there and look right at the real thing or home, in your case" she says with her mind wanders to faraway land.

He actually doesn't get the picture, cause if she says 'home' it'd means a house and his family not the forest.

"I haven't told you yet. I got a job as a researcher in Brazil" Marianne tell him with a big smile

"you mentioned it once but not in details and look at you! You aren't even graduated yet, are you?"

"Yeah, welcome to my world."

"Congratulation!" He says and really is proud of her, proud of someone who chooses the difficult path and reaches their aim.

"Thank you"

"dream comes true, huh?" He says and wraps his arms around her shoulder.

"sort of." She answers as they're walking along the path "I'm moving to Brazil this fall"

"You're moving to Brazil? Why? I thought you're just gonna explore the amazon" He asks.

"Yes, but even explorers don't live in amazon." She answers as if it's the most obvious thing.

"Aren't you gonna miss..." he pauses and decides not to speak his mind "New York? Aren't you? New York and all those friends"

"I don't know. I've never missed any place but amazon." She answers with a smile "I asked Bob to go with me."

"To Brazil?" Bruno asks.

"To Brazil."

"What did he say?"

"He was about to deny me but I asked him to reconsider it." Marianne stops walking, they're in front of the tree Bob rescued the cat, where his girl disappeared. "He might go with me. He'd be very helpful with the research. And I can't leave him to die out here."

"You know you can't help everyone in this world, don't you" Bruno tells out of nowhere after he heard about the kindness she presented to the old man.

"yes, but I can try. I will"

Bruno makes no further comment and he does know that she will.