25. Somewhere in Brooklyn

Marianne takes the train back to Bruno's place instead of having Robby drives her back. She's not sure why but she thinks Dr. Allison wouldn't be so comfortable about it.

When she gets into his room, He's not in her sight but she hears guitar sound from his bedroom. She peeks into his room at the door, decides not to make any noise to bother him. Anyway, not for so long, he notices his friend at the door, he stops playing, smiles at her and walk to her, giving her a hug.

"I miss you" he says but not letting go

"Okay, big baby. Mama is here. Don't cry" she mocks

He lets go and shakes his head, thinking that she ruined it all.

"what?!" Marianne asks with laughter. Bruno doesn't answer so she says "I bought pizza!"

"You got me" he surrenders and walks out of his room to the pizza, followed by Marianne who's laughing.

"I have some songs I want you to listen" He says after she finished with the dishes.

"New songs?"

"Yeah, come here" He answers and drags her after him. He goes to the bedroom where they usually play music together. She sits on the bed and he sits on the red sofa as usual.

Bruno plays songs he had written recently. And she gives him comments. She notices that most of them are love song. She gives the credits on Jessica and a little on herself that help them understand each other.

The last song he played is about a girl on the street he met and tried to find out who she was. It reminds her of a song.

"Peter, can I ask you something?" Marianne says after he finished the song "Just curious"

He nods

"who you met somewhere in Brooklyn?"

"Your questions always surprise me" He answers with a bright smile

"What you think I'm gonna ask?"

"Not this" he resists to answers it straight

"so what's the answers?"

"Like the song said. 'before I got her name, along came the train'" he answers with his mind wanders back to that cold winter night in Brooklyn and a fair girl with leather jacket at the train stop.

"Have you ever found out who she was?" Marianne's voice drags him back to warmer night.

"No," he gives her a short answer.

"why?" she asks after waiting for his explanation for a while. "The song seems like you were falling for her, you were searching for her, why did you give up? You gave up just like that?"

"just like that" He admits and gives her a sad smile that make she feels so young and stupid that she'll have to live another decade to understand him

"When I listened to that song, I thought it was love..."

"I was" he cuts up "but not every love lasts forever. People always change. We fall in love, our hearts break, or sometimes love just goes and leaves us with nothing but memories, then we fall in love all over again. I'm sorry to disappoint you but not every story behind a love song has a happy ending"

Marianne can say nothing for a while "I'm sorry" she finally says with her eyes full with tear "i- I shouldn't have asked.."

Bruno don't let her finish it, he comes to the bed and hugs her tight so he doesn't have to see her tear "hey, it's okay. What's wrong? Why are you crying?"