four

Four

Maddie

The trip to the hospital was fine with Zach. he went alone, got checked, then was free to go. I had been attending school, never texting Luke or Ashton though they still had that "open door" policy. Home was just normal. Zach and Nate drank and argued, sometimes smoked, but it was normal. Nothing unusual happened. Nate did pay the $200 fee surprisingly, and we were off the radar until Zach had to get the cast off, which was still two weeks.

I was up in my room, submitting my final draft of my essay as I blasted music through my phone. Zach and Nate were downstairs with friends smoking and drinking while I tried to ignore the stench of the smoke. Both the smell of cigarettes and weed made me nauseous, I had no idea how they smoked it. Honestly, the smell was making my chest hurt as it came through the vents. "Mad, come here," I heard Nate yell. I rolled my eyes and went down to see them and two of their friends. "Can you get the pack of cigarettes in my room?" Nate asked after finishing his cigar.

"Fine," I rolled my eyes. I went back up, feeling my chest tighten more. I breathed out, but only a wheeze came out, and that only made me panic. I started to gasp for breath as I held myself up on the dresser, trying to find air. I wanted to go over to the window and open it, but I didn;t have any strength. I shrunk to the ground, clutching my chest and gasping. The door opened and Nate came in angrily.

"Mad, where the fuck-" he started, but then stopped when he saw me. "Shit, shit, Mad," he swore, rushing over to me. "What's wrong?" he questioned, but I just pointed at my chest as I tried to get any sort of air. "Fuck," he swore again, quickly picking me up. He carried me down the steps, yelling for Zach to hurry up, then we piled into Nate's car as he drove to the hospital, high and quickly. The car ride only panicked me more because he was driving while high, and I knew that was dangerous. Surprisingly we made it there safely, only running three red lights, then Nate carried me in fully panicked.

"She can't breathe" he explained to the front desk guy, "I went into my room and she was clutching her chest," he finished the explanation as the front desk guy pushed a button. Soon a gurney was rushed out and two nurses were in the room. Nate put me on and they quickly wheeled me off to a room.

"I need oxygen and an IV immediately," someone yelled as people crowded me. "Heart rate?"

"High,"

"Hey, it's alright," a guy with dark hair told me, "I'm Calum, I'm a doctor and I'm going to help," he promised. "I just need you to stay awake right now, ok?" he said, but I didn't respond as a mask went over my face.

"Blood pressure is high, heart rate is going down," a nurse called out and I saw Calum a little panicked.

"Stay awake, pretty girl," he begged. "Just a little bit longer," And even though I tried my best, I felt my eyelids fall and I was unconscious.

Calum

We had finally gotten her stable and her lungs more open. "I want a scan on her lungs," I ordered and a nurse nodded.

"Dr. Hood," a nurse called out, making me look over, "Jim at the front desk has some information I think you would like to hear," she said and I nodded. I followed her out to where Jim was.

"Her brother came in two weeks ago, he was Dr. Irwin's patient. She was the one who handled all the paperwork and kept her brother in line, like a parent. When she came in today the brothers smelled of smoke and weed. Dr. Irwin has more information about the brother," I knew that this was an irritation in the lungs caused by smoke, which obviously could have been prevented.

"What were their names?"

"Nate and Zach Collins,"

"Thank you," I thanked him and he nodded. I paged Ashton as I went back to my office while the scan was ordered. As I started to fill out paperwork, Ashton came in.

"Hey man," he grinned.

"Did you have a patient, Zach Collins?" I questioned and he nodded. "I have his sister right now, she couldn't breathe, I ordered a scan on her lungs,"

"What?" his eyes widened as he took a seat across from me.

"I think it's a smoke irritation, everyone said they smelled of smoke and weed,"

"I knew something was wrong," he mumbled. "How is she?"

"In the scan right now, I'll have the results soon," I explained. "I don't want to call the brothers back yet, I want Luke to talk to her,"

"I'll tell him," Ashton offered. "He talked to her before, but she denied all accusations,"

"Hopefully this time we'll get the truth,"