twenty six

Twenty Six

Maddie

"How is that?" Crystal asked after finishing curling my hair.

"Good," I lightly smiled.

"Are you nervous at all?" she asked, referring to my first day of school being today.

"Very," I admitted as I picked at my nails.

"That's understandable, but you will have so much fun. It'll be nice to get out of the house,"

"I'm going to be tired after," I said and she chuckled.

"We all figured," she told me. "So Sierra or I will pick you up since we get off before the guys,"

"What if I want to go home before?" I asked.

"Then text in the group chat and we'll work something out," she said and I nodded. I looked back in the mirror, adjusting my top. I was wearing a pair of straight jeans, a floral baby tee that was long sleeved. It was mostly to cover up the marks on my arms from cuts and needles. We both went downstairs to be greeted by everyone. This was the first time during a weekday when everyone was up and eating together.

"You look pretty," Calum smiled. I lightly smiled back and sat down next to him, not eating much of my breakfast.

"Not hungry?" Michael asked and I shook my head. "Nervous?" I nodded.

"You'll be fine," Ashton sent me a reassuring smile.

"And you'll have that same tour guide from yesterday," Calum added, which made my stomach have butterflies.

"Ok," I mumbled. "I don't want to eat, I'll throw up,"

"Eat lunch then," Calum said and I nodded. Finally Calum and I left and we drove quietly to school with me looking at his phone for the directions. When we made it, he pulled up to the front and looked at me. "Have fun, text me, and just get used to it," he said and I nodded. He kissed my cheek, then I got out and went to the office. There Iris was waiting and grinned when I came in.

"Maddie, hey," she smiled.

"Hi," I stuttered, mentally cursing myself for stuttering.

"You look nice," she grinned.

"Thanks, you too," I quietly said, moving my hair out of my face. "I love your skirt,"

"Thank you," she giggled. "We have mostly the same schedule, so you can follow me around, but I'll show you where every class is and pick you up," she said and I nodded. We walked through the halls and went to my locker. I put some books and my lunch in there so I didn't have to carry them.

"Shit," Iris swore.

"What?" I asked.

"My ex-girlfriend is over there," she rolled her eyes.

"I'm sorry," I apologized.

"Don't be, she was a bitch," Iris mumbled, but then her eyes widened. "Fuck," she quickly grabbed my arms and turned me so I was cornering her with my locker door. My eyes widened as we locked eyes for a minute, but she broke that by looking to see her ex walking away. "She's gone," Iris side in relief.

'Oh, uh, good," I nervously said.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable," she quickly apologized.

"No, it's ok," I quickly said.

"Good," she breathed out with a small smile, locking eyes with me again. This time I broke that and took a step back.

"So, uh, first period," I said and she nodded.

'Yeah, first period," she agreed. After I closed my locker door, we walked off, Iris talking about some of the best places to hang out in school. I was barely listening though, I couldn;t help but this of the moment. Her standing in front of me, our eyes locking, my heart beating so quickly, my stomach doing flips, my hands sweaty. For a minute I could have sworn I liked her. But that wasn't possible. It couldn't be.

A/N: hey guys! I uploaded a new book called everything. Go check it out if you want!

Thanks for reading! Please vote! :)