twenty four

Twenty Four

Calum

"I'm proud of you," I told Maddie as we got in the car.

"I'm not," she mumbled as she wiped her cheeks.

"Well I am, that was something that was so hard to do," I explained, "but you did it, and that's what matters," silently, she nodded and we drove off. Again, she kept the direction on my phone as I drove. I didn't mind, I know she hated it, but if it made her feel safe I'm ok with it.

Being in her session made me realize how much she kept in. I needed to make a lot of changes about myself and how I approached all of this. Me just saying things will get better wasn't the right decision, and I'm not realizing that. I needed to let her explain her emotions and help her navigate those, not tell her someday it will get better. It won't get better if I keep pushing it away and let her keep pushing it away.

We made it back home where tons of boxes were being stacked in the garage. "Let's not sleep in the afternoon, how about you get your stuff ready for school tomorrow/" I offered and she nodded.

"Hey kiddo," Michael grinned as he packed stuff in the garage.

"Hi," Maddie quietly said, then went inside.

"How was it?" he asked and I sighed.

"I've been approaching everything wrong," I sighed and leaned against the workbench. "I need to change how I approach things,"

"At least you're seeing that now and are going to make those changes," he said and I nodded. "Here's the real question, what is your plan?"

"What do you mean?" my eyebrows furrowed.
"Her court case is coming up, what are you planning on doing?" he clarified. "Are you going to adopt her?" he asked and I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

"I don't know, yes?" I asked.

"That's not an answer, Cal," Michael shook his head. "You need to figure out if this is something you want permanently," he explained.

"I do," I nodded quickly, "I'm worried that she doesn't though."

"We can all tell she does, but you need to talk to her about it to make sure," he said and I sighed.

"I know I do,"

"Good, make this permanent," he told me. "It's only going to help her if she has something permanent," I nodded and went inside where things were quickly being packed up. At the island, Maddie sat eating a small snack while Sierra was talking with her, obviously trying to get her mind off of the day she had. I wanted her to get better, I wanted the absolute best for her, and I was hoping I could do that.