twenty seven

Twenty Seven

Maddie

The day went by quickly, but slowly. I enjoyed my classes, especially math. That was also Iris' favorite. The two of us flew through the worksheet in class and got to spend it as a free period. I could have done homework, but I didn't. Iris and I talked the whole time, about anything and everything.

Obviously I didn't bring up anything about my past, but I talked about Calum. She talked about her parents and her siblings. We both found out we loved chocolate covered strawberries, cooking, music, and math.

"Do you want to hang out this weekend?" she asked.

"I think I can, I know I'm moving to a new house,"

"Well, if you want any help setting up your room, I'm more than happy to help," she smiled and I nodded with a small smile.

"Yeah, I'd like that," I nodded and she grinned.

"Great," she chirped. "I have to go catch the bus, you know where to go for parent pick up?"

"Yeah, I got it," I nodded. We said our goodbyes and then I walked off to the main doors with a smile on my face. Outside Crystal was the first in line, so I got in her car and she passed me her phone that had the directions home up.

"Good day?' she asked and I nodded.

"Great day," I said and she smiled.

"You seem like you're in a better mood,"

"I like all my classes, especially math. And I made friends,"

"Well that's wonderful," she smiled. "Who are they?"

"Iris, Hayden, Jasper, and Daniella," I listed off.
"You'll have to have them over,"

"Iris asked if I wanted to hang out this weekend, she offered to help with my room,"

"I think that should be alright," she told me and I nodded. We made it home and I worked on homework in the kitchen. Everything was already packed up, the movers were scheduled to come Thursday and then Friday we were going to unpack. I was nervous about it at first, but now I was in a great mood.

The front door opened and Calum was the first rushing in, "Beware, you're going to hear about a great day," Crystal warned him and he sighed with a smile.

"You like it?" he asked and I nodded happily. "Tell me all about it," So I did. I told him about the classes, my friends, but for some reason I left out all the details with Iris, like her turning me to protect her, how she made my stomach do flips, how she made my heart race, and how my hands got super sweaty. I don't know why I was hiding it, but I felt like I needed to.

"My friend Iris said she would help me unpack at the new house, can she come over Saturday?" I asked and he smiled.

"Of course, your friends are always welcomed over," he grinned and I nodded with a small smile. "Finish your homework, we're ordering pizza for dinner,"

"Alright," I nodded and picked up my pencil, continuing the math worksheet. I don't know why I didn't tell him about Iris and all the details, but for some reason I felt like I needed to hide it. After finishing my homework, I went upstairs and went on my phone.

After playing a couple of games, I went onto google, searching up what I was feeling. A lot of articles came up about being attracted to the same sex, both sexes, or everyone. My heart sped up as I thought about it. Nate and Zach always bashed people who were gay, saying it was wrong. Maybe they were wrong though, it could be ok.

That was what I thought until I came across an article of kids being kicked out of homes for being gay. I continued to dive deeper into the topic, seeing kids that were fostered being harmed or even kicked out for this. I shut off my phone and stared at the ceiling as tears filled my eyes. Calum wouldn't do that, none of them would do that. They wouldn't hurt me or kick me out.

At least I think so.