thirty seven

Thirty Seven

Calum

"Where are we going?" Maddie asked for the millionth time.

"It's a surprise," I chuckled.

"I don't like that no one tells me anymore," she mumbled, but it just made me laugh.

"Trust me, you'll love it," I reassured her. SHe sighed, but nodded and stayed quiet. Once we arrived though, she looked over at me with wide eyes.

"It looks expensive,"

"Quit worrying about the prices, it's a special night tonight," I smiled. I parked the car, then we got out and went in. Once we got our table, Maddie looked through the menu nervously. "Mad, don't worry about the prices," I told her.

"But chicken tenders here are $20," she whispered. "How good can they be?" I laughed at her reaction and shook my head.

"Order it and find out,"

"Maybe I will," she smirked. Our waiter came and we ordered our drinks, then ordered our food after. I ended up getting pasta, but Maddie got the chicken tenders and fries. "Why did you bring me here?" she asked, then sipped on her lemonade.

"I can't bring you out?"

"Not to this fancy place without a reason,' she glanced around, making me chuckle.

"You're right, I actually have good news," I said, which made her sit straighter.

"Which is?"

"Friday is the day I was given to adopt you," I told her. Immediately she perked up.

"Really?" a smile formed on her face. I nodded with the same smile she had.

"Yeah, really,"

"I finally get to be your daughter?"

"You've been my daughter since you came here, this is just making it official,"

"Does everyone know?"

"They do, I wanted to take you out and surprise you,"

"Will they be there?"

"They will, and then after we'll go out for dinner,"

"This makes me really happy,"

"It makes me happy too," I smiled. "It's going to be a great day," I promised her. Maddie grinned and got up, coming around to my side of the table and hugging me. I hugged her tightly and kissed the side of her head. "I love you Mad,"

"I love you too," she mumbled. We let go of the hug and sat back across from each other, making small talk until our food came. Once we finished dinner, we also ordered dessert (at Maddie's request once she saw brownies). I took her picture as she shoveled as much food into her mouth as possible, which made me laugh.

"I can't wait to tell my friends,"

"They're going to be excited," I told her. "Invite them over one day along with Iris,"

"Ok," she nodded. "I think I want to try out again for the lacrosse team,"

"That will be exciting," I smiled. "We'll have to get your equipment,"

"Ashton said my asthma is getting better,"

"I know, that's very exciting," I smiled. "You're getting a lot better, every day you're getting better,"

"I'm glad,"

"I am too, we all are,"