twenty two

Twenty Two

Maddie

"What if no one wants me there?" I asked Calum as he drove to my new school. Meanwhile I kept a stare on his phone, following the directions.

"They're going to love you," Calum reassured me. "They'd be stupid not to. And I already called so they are aware a little bit about what's going on," he added and I nodded, slouching in my seat. "While I talk with the principal a student is going to give you a tour,"

"What if I don't like it?"

"I think you will," he chuckled. "We'll talk about the school tonight, and if you hate it we'll figure something else out," he said and I nodded. We eventually made it and went in and to the principals.

"Hello, I'm Mr. Thompson," he shook our hands. "You must be Dr. Hood and Maddie,"

'Call me Calum," Calum smiled. "It's so nice to meet you,"

"Please, have a seat," he gestured to the two chairs. He talked a lot about the school and classes, which I politely listened to. I wanted to go back home though, but Calum wanted me to do this, so I stuck around. Once he finished though, the door opened and a girl came in. She had light brown hair, bright blue eyes, and fair skin. SHe smiled at me, then looked at Mr. Thompson.

"Maddie, this is Iris," he introduced me, "she's going to show you around,"

"It's so nice to meet you," Iris grinned at me. "I'll give you a tour," I looked at Calum who smiled and squeezed my hand.

"I'll be here, go ahead," he reassured me. I slowly nodded and got up, following Iris out.

"So how old are you?" she asked.

"Fourteen," I quietly answered.

"Same," she grinned happily. "Do you have any interest?"

"I used to play lacrosse,"

"That sounds fun, our lacrosse team is pretty good. I play volleyball," she said and I nodded. She showed me around a little bit and we walked through the empty halls.

"I forgot to tell you, I love your hair," Iris said, making me look over at her as she looked down with a smile.

"You do?"

"Yeah," she nodded and glanced up at me. "You look really pretty, I love your outfit too. The sweater brings our your eyes," my cheeks turned red as I looked down. My heart was racing as I thought of what to say next. I could say a lot, like how I thought her blue eyes sparkled as she passionately spoke about different things in the school, how I felt comfort while she reassured the school was a great place, how I felt that she genuinely cared about the things around her, but I opted for the easy thing.

"I love your hair and outfit too," I said, making her giggle.

"Thank you," she said. "When you come, you can sit with me and my friends if you want,"

I quickly looked up at her, "You want me to sit with you guys?"

"Of course," she nodded, looking at me with a smile, "I consider us friends, do you?"

"Yeah," I nodded, lightly smiling. I didn't understand why I was so nervous and giddy, but I was, and I didn't understand it.