26

**Casper**

I didn't get much sleep that night. The more I tried not to think about Nash and my friends, the more I thought about them. So I woke up earlier than usual and went to the bathroom to freshen up. My plan was to spend some time in the library since my class didn't start until noon.

I was brushing my teeth when the door opened. I looked up to see Lucas wearing a robe and carrying a little bathroom basket. Of course, he wasn't wearing his glasses and his eyes were slightly puffy.

We were the only ones in the restroom at the moment, and I didn't want it to be awkward.

But knowing him, he would never let a situation be too awkward. He set his basket on the sink counter near me as I rinsed my mouth with water then dried it.

"You hate me," Lucas said, leaning against the wall with arms folded. "And why wouldn't you?"

"I don't hate you," I mumbled, closing my toothpaste. "It's not in me to hate people."

"I didn't expect it to go that far. Honestly." He shrugged. "Anyway, that's no excuse. I'm sorry."

"Did you do it on purpose?" I faced him. "Just forget about having sex with Nash because it doesn't get to me anymore. But did you intend to hurt me or make me jealous?"

"As awful as this sounds... I didn't think about you at all."

I nodded. "Actually, that doesn't sound awful. It would've been worse if you did think about me and did it anyway."

"I'm sorry, Casper-"

"Lucas." I shook my head. "I told you to go for him, didn't I? Look, Nash and I may have liked each other even if I didn't know it, but we weren't together. Besides, every single one of us have gotten hurt one way or another, I'm sure of it. I just need the drama to end. This isn't high school, and you're one of the very first friends I made here. That means something to me."

He took in a deep breath. "I swear, I will make it up to you. I will. And you can't say no."

"Lucas, I told you, Nash and I weren't together and I'm the one who said you should go for him."

"Still! I feel like crap for everything. I know it could've been handled better, and I can't just let you forgive me without, like, trying to earn your trust. Admit it, you don't trust me."

I sighed, staring at him. He raised his eyebrows then I rolled my eyes. "Fine. Do whatever you want. I'm going to the library."

"Ooh, me too. Professor Larsen asked me to participate in this research thing." He brought out his toothbrush and paste.

I raised one of my eyebrows, leaning against the sink with my back and folding my arms across my chest. "Did he now?" I was glad I told David to give that research opportunity to Lucas. Maybe it could keep him busy.

"Yeah! He said it would increase my chances of getting an internship by, like, a million percent or something. And I could get up to 8 points added to my final grade."

"That's good. You need it."

"I do," he admitted. "I think I have to quit one of my jobs so I can focus on school."

"From what I know about you, you're smart. Cunning. Admittedly devious."

"Okay, thanks for the shade, Casper, but I like the sun."

I couldn't help but chuckle to myself, taking my belongings. "I gotta go."

I saw a deep sadness cross his features when he thought I wasn't looking. He rubbed his eyes and blew out a sigh.